How do you cull chickens?

A stump and hatchet. Some methods if not done correctly will have the bird in pain. All the new fancy ways is unnecessary
I just want to point out the the broomstick isn't a *new fancy way* as its been around for a long time.
However, I do agree with you about some of the other ways, and a stump and hatchet can't really go wrong.

I use a very SHARP! knife. Not "sorta Sharp", or "was once sharp", and certainly not "is currently sHArP". SHARP!

I hold the head with my other hand as I do it, find the spot between two vertebre. and decapitate with a single draw of the blade. Finish with knife in one hand, bird hanging, head in other.

I do NOT recommend for others, its difficult to get right, and even more difficult for anyone even a little bit squeamish about the whole thing, Hesitation with this method is no courtesy to you, and it is CERTAINLY no courtesy to the chicken.

Assuming you have no stump and axe/hatchet skills, if you haven't the strength or the confidence for one of the common cervical dislocation methods, then I recommend a very sharp pair of bypass loppers - its not as clean a cut, but there is much less likelihood of failure, little need for strength, and it provides you a tiny bit of distance.

a stump and hatchet can't really go wrong.
Stump and hatchet work really well when you do it right.

But I've seen it go wrong in several ways:

--Bad aim (miss the chicken entirely, or chop through the beak or head instead of the neck)

--Dull hatchet or not enough force (chop the neck but not all the way through)

--Stupidity (One person holds the chicken, person with the hatchet uses their other hand to hold the chicken's head while they chop. Result, trip to the Emergency Room for repair of chopped hand. No, I wasn't involved, but it was someone I personally know.)

Which method is "best" depends on the skills of the person doing it. Someone who cannot use a hatchet safely should either practice until they can, or choose a different method that they can do properly.

This is the the only CD video I've found that doesn't remove the head.

Cervical Dislocation is shown in this video at about 1:00,
Click the 'Watch this video on YouTube'

-Notice the slight divot in the ground under the stick and neck, this will keep the bird from being choked.

-Notice that she slowly stretches out the neck and legs before giving the short sharp jerk that breaks the neck close to the skull, this is key to success IMO.

I've found this technique to be very effective.

We culled a rooster for the first time this summer and I watched so many videos on so many different techniques and it does just boil down to what you are the most comfortable with. We ended up using a kill cone and the method outlined in this video. It’s a long video but the culling part happens early on in the video. As many have mentioned if you are using a knife, ax or shears just be sure they are as sharp as possible. Our culling went better then expected and I credit it to watching this video a few times.

Same here. Once I've got the bird under the stick I stretch it out fully and then the quick pull to break the neck takes very little strength.

Two notes about it:

First, it's important to stand firmly enough on the broomstick that it doesn't slip out from under your feet when you pull -- causing the cull to fail and risking you taking a fall. Wear boots with heels and get the broomstick into the notch between the heel and the sole then center your weight firmly over the stick.

Second, though the intense flapping is disconcerting, it's actually your sign that you got a good, clean internal decapitation. The faster the kill the more vigorous the flapping.
I didn’t know that. We had one chicken die with a faulty automatic door and couldn’t figure out why she was 20 feet away.

We culled a rooster for the first time this summer and I watched so many videos on so many different techniques and it does just boil down to what you are the most comfortable with. We ended up using a kill cone and the method outlined in this video. It’s a long video but the culling part happens early on in the video. As many have mentioned if you are using a knife, ax or shears just be sure they are as sharp as possible. Our culling went better then expected and I credit it to watching this video a few times.

Thank You!!! A video is what I need. Got the gallon jug nailed to a piece of wood on a tree. I didn’t do it today because I couldn’t catch her- must of been a good day for her. Usually she just hobbles- or do they know? Mmm 🤔
No eggs from any of them!

Back
Top Bottom