How do you differentiate tiger grizzle from a normal black grizzle?

Mihai

Crowing
Jan 1, 2020
Singureni, Romania
Hello! I want to purchase a pair of tiger grizzle but I'm not sure how to differentiate them from black grizzle. So, I tought to ask here.
1657416275177.png

This is the pair i want to purchase (if they are tiger grizzle).

Hello! I want to purchase a pair of tiger grizzle but I'm not sure how to differentiate them from black grizzle. So, I tought to ask here.
View attachment 3180465
This is the pair i want to purchase (if they are tiger grizzle).
Tiger grizzles basically start out being born a normal solid color, and then in the next couple moults they grow in more and more white feathers. Unless you raise the bird yourself it's difficult to tell if the bird has pied/splash (because those white feathers are present from birth). With the checkered look on the chest, those look like they could be tigers, but they do have a lot of white in other areas so they could also be pieds. An ideal tiger would have something like every other feather white... meaning a colored feather, a white feather, a colored feather, a white feather etc. (just keep in mind it's almost impossible to get that kind of perfection). A lot of pied or splash in the head can make the eyes dark (bull) like in recessive whites... I cant really see the eyes of those birds in the picture, but if they are a normal red/orange or pearl color then it's probably not pied.

Tiger grizzles basically start out being born a normal solid color, and then in the next couple moults they grow in more and more white feathers. Unless you raise the bird yourself it's difficult to tell if the bird has pied/splash (because those white feathers are present from birth). With the checkered look on the chest, those look like they could be tigers, but they do have a lot of white in other areas so they could also be pieds. An ideal tiger would have something like every other feather white... meaning a colored feather, a white feather, a colored feather, a white feather etc. (just keep in mind it's almost impossible to get that kind of perfection). A lot of pied or splash in the head can make the eyes dark (bull) like in recessive whites... I cant really see the eyes of those birds in the picture, but if they are a normal red/orange or pearl color then it's probably not pied.
Ok! Thanks for the advise.
If it helps this is the closest photo i could take of the eyes.
1657482897386.png

Back
Top Bottom