How do you get chickens to stop being so skittish?

Bird is the word

Songster
Sep 23, 2022
Bird world
I got my chickens ever since they where a few weeks old but they are all still very scared and afraid of people including me unless I have treats. How do I get my chickens to easily allow me to hold them not be scared? And are chickens trained to be lap chickens or it just happens if they are trained how do you train them to be lap chickens?

I got my chickens ever since they where a few weeks old but they are all still very scared and afraid of people including me unless I have treats. How do I get my chickens to easily allow me to hold them not be scared? And are chickens trained to be lap chickens or it just happens if they are trained how do you train them to be lap chickens?
I have ten new hens they were raised In Wild but in a egg house so they are skittish but a few will let me pet them

What breeds are they? And how much time do you spend with them each day, approximately?

I think the secret to a super friendly bird is luck of the draw, unfortunately. Not all of them will want to sit with you even if you do spend a lot of time with them. But it's not unreasonable to expect them to at least accept some minimal level of handling.

Last edited:
Some breeds tend toward skittishness. Wyandottes are, from my experience, not too interested in lap cuddles. I had one, a hen, who hated to be touched, but she loved to sit on my lower legs as I sat in the run. She only started to allow me to touch her when she was over ten years.

My EEs are overwhelmingly cuddly and affectionate, but I have one in particular, a hen named Petey, that explodes in a skittish frenzy every time she thinks I'm reaching for her. I've tried and tried to get her to calm down and allow me to handle her, but she's a lost cause.

Next time you get chicks, set up a brooder that you can access from the side rather than the top. It can make all the difference in the world between chicks that will come to you and chicks that will run from you. Even better is to brood them in the run or coop where you can get right in their world with them. Read about how I evolved brooding chicks in my run and ending up with very calm and friendly chicks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/

Some breeds tend toward skittishness. Wyandottes are, from my experience, not too interested in lap cuddles. I had one, a hen, who hated to be touched, but she loved to sit on my lower legs as I sat in the run. She only started to allow me to touch her when she was over ten years.

My EEs are overwhelmingly cuddly and affectionate, but I have one in particular, a hen named Petey, that explodes in a skittish frenzy every time she thinks I'm reaching for her. I've tried and tried to get her to calm down and allow me to handle her, but she's a lost cause.

Next time you get chicks, set up a brooder that you can access from the side rather than the top. It can make all the difference in the world between chicks that will come to you and chicks that will run from you. Even better is to brood them in the run or coop where you can get right in their world with them. Read about how I evolved brooding chicks in my run and ending up with very calm and friendly chicks. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...and-start-raising-your-chicks-outdoors.71995/
Ok thanks

Speckled Sussex hens are curious and interactive, love them! Also some of our French Marans are more social, and some of our bantam Easter Eggers.
Chickens are prey animals, so many/ most aren't into being held or cuddled. Coming when called and hanging out underfoot is good, and a few might tolerate being handled, or being on your lap.
Puppies and kittens, not chickens!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom