How do you get your girls to drink out of a nipple?

DebbieParker

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 5, 2012
Georgia
My hubby just made me a nipple style waterer for my chickens. I have tapped on the nipples to show them how to drink but I don't think they are getting the hang of it. A couple,of chickens tried while I was tapping on the nipple, but they are acting thirsty. What do y'all recommend?

I was worried when I switched over, but I left one of the nipples a little loose, so it dripped for a few days. Once I could see them all drinking from it, I tightened the nipple up, and they all have the hang of it, now. I did leave the open waterer inside the coop (whereas my bucket was outside in the pen) until I was comfortable with them using it. I made my switch in the summer, so it was still warm. Now I just need to figure out how to keep the water from freezing!!

Good luck!

My setup is a 5 gallon bucket with the nipples on the bottom. Not sure how your setup is with the PVC pipe, if you have that coming off of a bucket, but I was just discussing whether a de-icer would keep the water in the bucket warm enough that the water in the PVC would not freeze, either. I picked up a de-icer from Tractor Supply last night, and it works with my current setup. In the spring I was considering attaching PVC off the side of the bucket to run an arm with nipples on it for them. Depending on overall diameter of the PVC pipe, and length, I think the heating element I have will keep it warm.

That said, I did have to unscrew the nipples and remove the ice on top of the stopper. Seems the deicer was able to melt all the ice but that in the 2 hours I had it running.

Hi I sell the nipples and I get asked this all the time. Take away there water so the only thing they can get water from is from the nipples. Tap on them to show the chicken that they need to peck at them if you can grab one and tap there beek with the nipples. They may not get a hold of it right sway but they will you may need to try more than one.

And as for freezing with a pvc pipe if the water reserve is a bucket get a bird bath deicer. And get a varry spall pond water pump you can get one from harbor fright for less than $10 buck I think. Run the tubing from the pump threw the pvc. The pump will circulate the water from from the bucket so it wont freeze.

Back
Top Bottom