How do you heat the laying boxes?

It was supposed to be record breaking low temps today. In Warren county we even had delayed openings for schools because of the temps. Today around 9am it was still only -5 F! Still no frozen eggs!

Glad your warmers are working well Ron!

I've been lucky in that we haven't had quite as much subfreezing weather as last year.
I've had frozen eggs I'm sure, but none have cracked as I gather often and with 6 more layers this year they seem to keep the eggs warm when using one or two nests....someone's always sitting on them ready to add the next one.

I have hens and runner ducks. One duck lays in the nesting box, but two lay on the cold floor. Any ideas on how to keep those eggs from freezing? Right now they're just cold in the morning, but today the water had a layer of ice on it. As the temperature drops...

We are getting single digits and below here in southeastern MN. I have heard that rope lighting can produce a heat about 75 degrees or so. I am going to use the same type of set up listed in this thread, but instead of the heating mat, I am going to try the rope lights and see what happens. Also I plan on leaving them on all day and collect eggs in later afternoon after work.

We are getting single digits and below here in southeastern MN. I have heard that rope lighting can produce a heat about 75 degrees or so. I am going to use the same type of set up listed in this thread, but instead of the heating mat, I am going to try the rope lights and see what happens. Also I plan on leaving them on all day and collect eggs in later afternoon after work.
Hi Steve,
welcome-byc.gif

Do you put the rope lights in the boxes then? or just in the hen house? I don't mean to be dense, I just am not sure what you mean. Hey, why don't you come on over to the Surviving MInnesota thread, good peeps there, would love to hear your experiences with chickens in our great state
big_smile.png
I've learned alot from them. I don't have to worry about freezing eggs this year, I haven't had an egg since the beginning of November
hmm.png
lol

Back
Top Bottom