How do you house your extra coturnix roosters?

Sill

Songster
6 Years
Dec 30, 2013
Tempe, AZ
How do you house your extra coturnix roosters? While quail are not as loud as chickens the roos can get obnoxious with their crowing depending on a number of factors. The extra roos that do not have a covey, or are housed near or with other bachelors seem to crow constantly.
duc.gif
Short of sending them to freezer camp there has to be a good way to keep them happy so they are not crowing their little heads off...or is there?

I keep my bachelors in an extra large rabbit cage in the barn. I often take the entire cage out and set it up underneath the shade trees during the day, but on the days they stay in the barn, I have the door and window shutters open so they still get access to quite a bit of sunlight (but it's set up so they can get in the shade when they want). At night I shut them up in the barn, closing the door/windows as they can get loud enough to disturb one's sleep.

I prefer to have them fresh rather than frozen, especially since it doesn't take much to keep them. Plus, if something happens to one of my breeding males, I still have a nice selection to choose from.
big_smile.png

I'm getting ready to put in a 2' x 8' long elevated run for them, just to give them a bit more room.

The largest of them go out with the laying hens. I give them a few days to settle down but if they don't, I replace with a backup from the brooder in the garage. Once I have large, quiet roos outside, the rest go to Freezer Camp.

My last group started crowing at 29 days old. I thought it was just one being noisy as heck, but all 6 were caught in the act by the end of the week. Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to Kenmore we go...

I wish I had more space, or a barn. Unfortunately I'm an urban "farmer" with limited space. I just processed 18 extra males. They were delicious! I invited some family members for the quail feast. Yum! All the live males are now in groups with 5-6 hens. The quiet is blissful! I was going to try housing a couple of the extra males by themselves as backups but once I started processing I just did the entire lot.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom