How do you make a profit selling eating eggs?

crystalchik

Songster
12 Years
Jan 15, 2008
Central Florida
I am trying to work out my business plan to sell eating "farm fresh" eggs using Copper Marans for the dark eggs and Americaunas for the green eggs. I am just trying to make some extra money to help out with the bills and maybe some for college (not just with selling eggs, but you understand)

But here is my problem, if I keep 25-30 hens and get around 2 doz eggs a day, selling for $3 per doz (thats the max ive been able to sell for) 5 days a week, thats only $30 per week. Ill end up spending at LEAST $13 for a 50 lb bag of feed a week, and end up with a profit of about $17 a week...thats absolutely NOT worth it! Am i missing something here? How does everyone else make a huge profit off selling fresh eating eggs? And the way i see it, even if I get more hens, ill need more food...??
Thanks for any advice or tips!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Most often there is no profit.....not even $17 dollars. You need to have the chickens because you enjoy them and look at any money you get from selling eggs as a bonus. You're lucky you can get $3 per dozen....where I live I'm lucky to get $1.25 or 1.50 for eating eggs.

That would be perfect for me!
clap.gif
You see mine are pets and I never had a pet that could buy it's own food. Have you ever just sat and watch them?
it's so relaxing
smile.png
yea I can get $1.50 here.

Last edited:
I don't make any kind of profit. Right now I've got 14 hens laying about 10 eggs/day some of which I sell at $1.50/doz. to regular customers at work. I live in a farming community and many folks have their own so that price is all the local market will support. My family and very patient neighbor also get eggs. I also give extras to folks I know are in need. Basically they are paying for their feed and that's enough for me. My dad laughs and says after the coop and fencing etc. they've probably only cost me $65/doz!!!

Yeah, sorry hon, you don't get rich off the chickens!
hugs.gif
To me, they're the only pet I've ever had that lays me breakfast and pays for their own feed. That works for me! Plus think of all the hours of endless entertainment they provide-that right there is priceless!! lol
lol.png

I have never made a penny-even when I sell out of all my eating eggs-I sell chicks-chickens-eggs-I lose every week when I have buy food-but I do make some money selling fertile hatching eggs. The money I bring in for those- helps offset their feed and heat in winter-again I have not made a penny but Im happy and I love all my babies-at least they are "helping" to pay for their stay -they free range 12 hours a day too-wouldn't trade it for the world.

Last edited:
I sell to local produce stands for $2.00, (then they sell them for $3). I sell to individuals for $2.50 (I'm told this is cheaper than the cage free eggs in the grocery store). We barly make enough to pay for the feed. I think unless you selling to the store, there really isn't any money profit in them. But if you do that then you have to get USDA certified and all that, not really worth it in my books.

Quote:
Oh and I sell me eggs for 3$ a dozen to friends and 4$ a dozen at my MIL little summer store-( only opened until Labor day-to memorial day) next door to me.

Hello! I sell eggs for $3 for neighbors in Charlotte, NC. They're all very happy with the price and quality...breaking even with expenses is my only goal, because the chickens provide so much via eggs, fertilizer, and entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom