How do you prep your pumpkin seeds for your chickens?

I've also heard about people taking the guts and the seeds and some buttermilk and throwing both into a blender and giving it to them. It acts as a preventative worm concoction. There is also a recipe where you take the guts and seeds, garlic and dandelion greens and once again blend or possibly food process. The guts and seeds again for worms I believe, the garlic just cause it's all around good for them and the dandelion greens acts as a diuretic to pass the worms I think. This is what I remember from reading a recent post on here a day or two ago.

EDIT: BTW they were both using the guts and seeds raw as well as the other ingredients.

Last edited:
I take the guts and the seeds and just chop it up a bit and feed. They love it!

The inner hull of the pumpkin seed contains the natural wormer. The substance it contains paralyzes the worm so it can be expelled. I occassionally add ground cloves to the mixture too as it is also a natural wormer.

So by giving the seeds some chopping the inner hull is exposed so it can be easily digested by the birds.

So by giving the seeds some chopping the inner hull is exposed so it can be easily digested by the birds.

Makes sense - I'll chop up the seeds a bit for the girls.

Be ready for the orange poo!

Seriously?! Thanks for the warning.
lau.gif

Last edited:
My girls just walked into the garden and helped themselves to the last pumpkin still growing on the vine.

same here. We paint faces on pumpkins and this year was not a good yr for pumpkins, a lot of them have soft spots. i've painted some and then found out that they were soft, so just threw them into the run... they went at them... I tried to get a pic of one of them inside the pumpkin, all that's left is the shell... couldn't get the pic tho...

Melinda
also would say that it keeps them busy too.

I have 2 runs. I just slice the pumpkin in half. Each run gets half. There's nothing left. No seeds, nor rind, no meat, no stem, nothing. The duck is the biggest pig when it comes to the pumpkins.

Has any one ever though to storing some seeds in the freezer for deworming during times that there is no pumpkins..

Just a crazy idea of mine.

Would the seeds still work as a wormer after being frozen while raw.

Back
Top Bottom