How do you sell a rooster or give it away?

Willow's Meadow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
I need to sell/give my rooster away so I put him on craigslist along with some of my pullets. Everyone emails me saying they want the pullets but noooo rooster? How can I give him away or get rid of him? What are my other options? I don't really want to cull him....he is very sweet but I just can't keep him. I have never culled a chicken before so I don't know how to do it.
barnie.gif

Advertise him by himself, or sell him as a pair with one of the pullets. Take a cute pic of him, cuter the better, say like with a bandanna around his neck etc..... Also some feed stores let you sell them on consignment.

Last edited:
I think roosters are really hard to place. I have been trying to give mine away for free for about 6 months on Craigslist. I tried at first to get 2.00 for the purebreds but found even free there were no takers. I gave up there.
I could not even give away some beautiful little 4 month old banty roosters that have been vaccinated . There were beautiful little Cochins, frizzles and Mille Fluer D'Uccles. I also had some Silkies and Orp Roosters and no takers. It seems in my area they are hard to place even the friendly ones. I guess everyone has enough roosters here. Do you have one of those low cost ad magazines in your area? I had some luck with one here. Also some newspapers will let you place a free ad for things you are giving away.
There is a farming area about 12 miles from us and I put a free ad in their paper and had some luck. Hope you can find him a home.
I have never culled a bird either.

Look for local trader paper's or for sale paper's in your area.We have a couple of good one's in our area with free to place an ad.Add your email or a secondary junk email you might use and add a photo of the bird if you can.I have placed MANY extra roo's over the year's.

When I had three extra roosters to give away back in 2007 I put posters up at our local post office, library branch, convenience store window. I also told everyone I met, right down to the cashiers at walmart, that I had some free cockerels.
All three boys went to a pet home, to an older couple that had 80 hens but not a single rooster. Turns out my DH knew the couple from his childhood, so I know the roos got a good home.
Around these parts, there's alot of commercial chicken houses so backyard chickens are hard to place, but not impossible as I found out. Some of the older folks that had retired from the commercial houses just like having a rooster around; sorta a lawn ornament.

We have Chicken Swaps in Nh and I jus brought two roos, one sweet and one not so much. Withing 35 minutes I had them both sold. Only $5 each but they went to pet homes not the kettle. I personally would have given them away but it worked out better knowing they were not going to the pot after the TLC I gave to them
clap.gif

Well, I think the first thing is to distance yourself from the bird right now. Not every rooster gets a "home". Most of them get a, well, purgatory if you will. Then they go in the soup bowl.

Second, I'd put him as a pair with one of your pullets. Take down your pullet ads. Or, do a "free rooster" ad.

Back
Top Bottom