How do you sell a rooster or give it away?

smile.png

I have had luck selling them on Craigs List with a picture, and these were all hand raised and hand tame and 4- 5 months old. I have sold them for $10-15, they were all purebred, I found nice homes and flocks for 6 roosters so far.

One person lost their rooster to a hawk who was defending his hens. Another rooster went to someone who thinks that a cougar got her rooster as her dog refused to go out that night when they heard something by the chickens and she saw a big flash of yellow.
Also people that have a rooster that has developed a mean streak are looking for replacement roosters that are tame and will not attack when their back is turned.

If they are gentle and tame and come for goodies then roosters can be placed. With any extra very young roosters if I know that I don't need them then I take them to the local weekly auction, and you can get at least 3.00 for started chicks, 6 week olds or so.

Also take a picture and print out flyers and post at feed stores.

D.gif

Mentioning them as free with pullets is about as good as it gets. It helps if they are the same breed because some people will then pick up the rooster to keep a group of that breed and sometimes you can sell them to 4-hers that might want to show poultry at the fair. Depending on your area sometimes it's just not possible though and something you have to accept when raising chickens. I know a few people do not hatch their own just to avoid that aspect of chicken keeping and a few have actually set up rooster only pens so they can keep them without as much chance for fights and no hens being overly mated.

I just rehomed mine using Craigslist last week. I had my post up for about a month, starting at $10 for purebred Marans. Ended up putting the ad in the community section under Pets as well as under farm and garden and gave them to a woman for free because she was super nice and just loved them. Don't give up hope, just keep posting and eventually you'll find a good home. I agree with a previous poster who suggested listing him on his own or as a pair though. You'll weed out the people who are only able to keep hens and save yourself a lot of time not having to write back to people who probably aren't going to take your roo.

I just sold 2 beautiful buff silkie Roos to someone who wanted cute little character roosters.
celebrate.gif

I also was able to sell a Cuckoo Marans Roo that had been listed on CL for weeks.

I added a laying pullet and sold them as a breeding pair. They sold quickly that way.
thumbsup.gif

Something that I am going to keep in mind in the future, when I have extra Roosters.

Quote:
Our feed store will take them too. But I've had some luck actually rehoming a few by putting up a description and giving the names. "Little Jerry Seinfeld" and "Mo" got true homes. I've even visited them! When they're extra sweet, you have a decent chance, though I don't know about CL. I don't trust a lot of yahoos on there!

The britt said
Our feed store will take them too. But I've had some luck actually rehoming a few by putting up a description and giving the names. "Little Jerry Seinfeld" and "Mo" got true homes. I've even visited them! When they're extra sweet, you have a decent chance, though I don't know about CL. I don't trust a lot of yahoos on there!

Where are you putting up a description, at the feed store? Your'e right about the yahoos, but they seem to just show up the first day or two, with poor grammer and misspelled words.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yea, at the feed stores. We have quite a few folks out here that truly love their chickens. Both times I've found homes they went to women who had really nice (and expensive) coops. Better than the one I used to have! Luckily (or not) my DH is unemployed, so he spent all summer building a beautiful coop. But I digress...yes at feed stores, and you could also post at vets' offices.

Certainly was the hardest thing I have ever done. Some I sold at the chicken swap and knew by the ladies that were buying them that they were going to be soup. Then some to the freezer. Then some that were give away.

Recently I had two rooster....that I got by accident.....shows how much I know...did get two hens at the same time....but I finally rehomed the two boys....they were beautiful but I already had a rooster of that breed.

It is hard. I built a tractor just to put the boys in at the time. Now I use it for quarantine and when I need to segragate chickens.

Kill it, gut it, pluck off all its feathers, put it in a stew pot, add herbs, vegetables, remove rooster to attractive serving platter, make sauce, garnish, add vegetables, invite people to dinner.

That is how you get rid of a rooster.

Does anyone know any places in California where I can give my rooster away? some places are really sketchy because there are cockfighting places. I don't want him to suffer. Can anyone help?

Back
Top Bottom