How does everyone sanitize their eatin' eggs?

L&Schickens :

Sale eggs I wash in "Egg Wash" solution but personal eggs I don't bother washing. Been eating them unwashed for years and have not gotten sick yet!!
lol.png

Do you have to egg wash sale eggs??? and what type of solution do you use???​

I think it depends on where you live and how many eggs you sell. Here in Colorado, you don't have to wash the eggs or candle them until you sell more than 2500 doz a month or something dumb like that. So basically if you are under that, I'd say you don't have to wash them. I'd clean off the bad spots though, because customers can't handle the poop.
smile.png
I have one guy who only buys my eggs and refuses to eat eggs from is wife's friend, because mine are clean and hers are not.

Very good and informative post! When my girls start laying this will save me a lot of time.

Also, I was reading a magazine a while back and they were talking about collecting chicken things. One was the container of a hen sitting on her nest. It opened up to keep stuff in it. They said this dated back to early times and started in England. That it was usually kept in the kitchen and their eggs were stored in it. So I guess people have not been putting reggs in the fridge for a long time!
old.gif

To the poster who was worried about eating fertile eggs.......worry no more. You will not be eating baby chicks. I completely understand the 'EWWWWW" feeling you have at first, but honestly, they are no different.
Out of respect, I DO ask my kids or visitors if they mind eating my fertile scrambled eggs. The majority say, "Not at all!"

You will soon find that you will be overrun with fertile eggs, and if you're like me........you can't hatch them ALL!!!!
A really nice quiche will make you feel better..........
wink.png

Fertile eggs shouldn't be a problem unless they've been sitting around for 3-5 days in 100 degree weather...
tongue.png
Then I think the "eww" factor might be elevated to the point that I wouldn't want to eat them.
lol.png

I set aside muddy/dirty eggs for our own use, and wash them just before cracking them so the mud doesn't flake off in my food. When it's not raining, the eggs come out of the nests pristine, so no one has to worry about washing them. Even hatching eggs - I just dry-scrub the majority of the dirt off so that I don't disturb the bloom. Only time I've had troubles with dirty eggs is when the hen didn't get off the nest to poop, and they sat in icky broody-poop for a while. Those eggs didn't hatch.

The shells are really porous and if you wash them and use a lot of soap, you may get soapy tasting eggs (I learned that from experience when we first had chickens)...since then we don't wash em unless they are sorta dirty, and then we wash as little as possible. I have also read that washing them can cause bacteria to leach through the shell into the egg, but we have done it both ways, and so far have been ok. We just go with the general rule; usually don't wash em, or only a little; the really dirty ones go in the woods for the wild critters.

In Europe they don't refrigerate the eggs even in the grocery stores. I think Americans have gotten a little crazy when it comes to refrigerating everything. Walk the streets in Europe and you'll see all varieties of meat hanging in open air markets. Butchered caracasses just hanging there on the street for customers to look at, touch, examine and buy.

I also do not wash eggs unless they are real muddy.. even then no soap. I've had eggs sit out for years and just dry out. No intention of eating them though. LOL

They should be sterile inside and the bloom as mention protects the egg.

Back
Top Bottom