How does everyone sanitize their eatin' eggs?

I have never washed an egg in my life, whether for eating or hatching. If it has a LOT of poop on it, I have a little bucket of play sand I keep handy to scrub it off in the sand. I do not want to wet an egg and let all the stuff on the outside soak into the inside. Eggs are porous and absorb things. Nothing like wetting a poopy egg and letting it absorb some of that mess.

Quote:
LOL!
lol.png
- Everything else does... At least my eggs won't any more!
lol.png

I tell my egg lady...leave them as they are. I wash them right before we cook them in hot water and a scrub brush...that's it. Otherwise you may taste some soap in your eggs. And when mine finally start to lay for us they are going right into the carton. They last SO much longer that way

Have you never noticed that if you wash them and then put them in the fridge that they can pick up strong odors? I also never put mine in the fridge. I keep a wire basket on the counter and it is full of eggs...........that never get washed.
big_smile.png

I will admit that I keep all my eggs unwashed in a basket on the table. I will wash them the night before I take them to work to sell - darn city folk, they get grossed out if they are a little dirty.

For some reason, my husband prefers that I was the eggs I leave him too.

And MY mom AND MIL won't eat my fresh eggs either!
D.gif

And a little off topic for the moment - over the weekend my friend's 12 year old asked me "how do you know which eggs have babies in them and which ones are for eating?"
jumpy.gif

That's the reason we don't want a roo around
lau.gif
I'm a vegetarian and it would weird me out too much...
It's still weird for me to think that you can let them sit on the counter and they won't go bad. I don't know why, that's just really hard for me to grasp. *lol*

Quote:
You can really leave them out? For how long? How long is an egg good for after it is laid?
I know how you feel about the roo thing. We have one we just adore, and before the eggs start coming, we need to figure out what to do with him. Can he stay in a coop by himself where he can see but not touch
big_smile.png
...or is that mean? Should we just give him away? All questions we need to answer soon! :|

I spot wash all eggs that go to the farmers markets. customers can't handle it any other way.....then I have a sign saying to wash eggs at your discretion before use. works for me.

myself, just before eating I wash and use.

Karen

Back
Top Bottom