How early can they have treats?

precipice

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
San Francisco Bay Area
Remind me again, how early can new chicks get treats?

I have a Red Star sex-link, a Black Star sex-link, and an Australorp, all 15 weeks old, who moved outside last week. (Seemed a little early, but they were getting huge -- the Australorp especially -- and I live in California, so it isn't that cold out.) They're easily as big as my year-old Ameraucana and Barred Rock girls (the Australorp looks like she's going to kick everyone's butts around the yard). They're in a separate coop and pen for now so everyone can get friendly, and they look on longingly when I give the bigger -- er, I mean older -- girls scratch and treats. Can they partake at this age?

Thanks!

My red stars are 10 weeks and I started giving them treats (warm oatmeal, crickets, banana, carrot greens) 2 weeks ago, so far so good .....so I hope it's okay.....

I just played around and tested some treats on them when they were about 3 wks old, but by 5 wks they could eat with the big boys and girls.

A chicken's food goes, as is, into the crop, where it is slowly funneled into a very small " stomach" for some digestive additives--then to the Gizzard, where it is 'chewed', that is, ground into material that can be digested as it moves into the intestines and so on. The Gizzard is best able to break down whole grains and other chunky bits that they eat when full of grit. Longest lasting grit is Granite, that lasts well. All other rock and stone is so much softer, that it wears down fast and that is why granite grit is best choice, works really well for best utilization of feeds. My baby chicks are given free choice and they choose it with pleasure, baby grit is fine Granite, as soon as they are given anything besides Starter Crumbles. Their tiny gizzards are at optimum function at an early age.

I gave a Black Soldier Fly Larvae (BSFL) to 1 wk old chicks. I was horrified when one gulped it down. It only took a few minutes before it was gone. I thought they would just peck at it and maybe tear it up but no such luck. I really didn't think they could eat one whole. The chick was fine and the next day the same chick had one gulped down in seconds. Talk about a frenzy! It was hilarious to watch them chase the chick that had one. Had to give more than one at a time because 9 chicks chasing 1 seemed kind of cruel.

By the time the chicks were 5 wks they were getting a handful or two.

I never used to give treats or table scraps until they were eating laying food and off the baby food but with this last batch of chicks I saw them chase down, kill and eat a cricket at four weeks of age. Figured if they could eat the bugs they could probably handle some leftover toast.

mine have been getting treats basically since they hatched. we started by only giving them stuff like eggs and yogurt, then moved on to bigger and better things lol. they get grit as well of course. they haven't had any problems, no pastey butt or anything. almost 4 weeks old now and going strong.

i started giving mine treats when they were a week old and it didnt hurt them in any way. if you will watch an old hen with chicks she finds them treats constantly.they eat any thing they can get in their tiny little beaks.

I would go to the yard ande pull mine good green grass and i would take scissors and cut it into tiny pieces and they would clean up every piece.i would catch them crickets and grass hoppers they loved them.

Back
Top Bottom