how long after a disease to eat eggs?

milo2145

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 29, 2010
huntsville texas
I am not sure what my chickens had - some sort of mycoplasma, or bronchitis, with bubbly eyes, loud breathing and sneezing.
They are all pretty much better now, and it has been about 3 weeks since any symptoms - apart from one hen, who is still sneezing, no other symptoms though. and one hen whose head is upside down - I kid you not, she has her head upside down all the time! but seems happy, so I leave her too it!
My husband says we shouldn't eat the eggs ever again, but that seems a waste to me, is there a problem with eating eggs after a disease?

I am not sure about eating eggs, but your hens will now be carriers of what ever they were sick with If you sale any offspring and such they could also be carriers.

Mycoplasma is the one thing that passes into the egg, but it isn't something a human can catch by eating it. The chick born from that egg has a chance of being born with MG. That isn't even 100%. I think you would be fine eating them. Schellie is right about the birds being carriers of whatever they had. If you bring new birds in they may catch it. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom