How Long Before Chicks Can Go Outside

My chicks are 24 weeks old and want to put them outside. Temps at night range from 25-35 during the day it's gets up to 45. Is it safe to put them out?

I live in Vermont and hoping by the 1st of May it should be good , they are 3 wks now and should have plenty of feathers by then. Probably will be up all night myself! ha

I'm thinking it may be time for my 8 week and 6 week old chicks to go live in the coop. The brooder is getting very small for them. THey are well feathered and have been outside in the grass a few times now. They love it. I am afraid of putting them out there for fear of something getting them. But I live in the city, have a fenced in back yard, and the coop is pretty secure ( I hope). I know we have possums around here, and raccoons, though I've never seen any in my yard. But I still have some fears.

What kind of chick is your grey one? I have one exactly like it and have no idea what breed it is, it was marked as a barred rock but once it hatched it obviously was not!
we took our 1-2 week olds out in the 85 degree weather for about 10 minutes today. In that time they found (and ate) 2 worms!!! And I managed to take 73 pictures

we took our 1-2 week olds out in the 85 degree weather for about 10 minutes today. In that time they found (and ate) 2 worms!!! And I managed to take 73 pictures

LOL I can't wait to turn mine out to free range. Put them in their big girl and big boy pen like 4 nights ago now. So I am waiting a week or more before turning them out because I want for them to KNOW WHERE home is. That way they will be used to home and hopefully go back in at dusk and I wont be chasing chickens all over my 12 acres of land. lol

I am buying baby chicks that will arrive in late July. I live in upper CT and want to know if it is safe to put them outdoors this winter when they will still be so young. Temps can fall to zero here.

I took my chicks outside last week on a warm sunny day. This weekend they were outside both days for a couple of hours with supervision. They had a blast running in the grass and pecking at ANYTHING that moved! LOL The kids and I had a great time watching chicky football. If one chick found a leaf, they would run through the others and out the side. Once the other chicks saw that one had something they would chase him down for it. If he dropped the leaf, the kids would yell "Fumble". It was great. I don't know who had more fun, the chicks or us!! I haven't given mine any goodies as of yet. I figure I will once they are feathered and able to maintain their own temps. If their body can do that then it should be ready to handle treats and such.

This is my first time ever with chicks, so my advice comes with very limited knowledge...except what I've already learned on here :)

Have fun!!
sorry to jump in but i'm new to baby chicks too lol. how old were your chicks when you did this? mine are 2 days old and I was wondering how long to wait before I can let them play in the grass (under supervision) I live in florida so it is in the high 70s and 80s.

I am buying baby chicks that will arrive in late July. I live in upper CT and want to know if it is safe to put them outdoors this winter when they will still be so young. Temps can fall to zero here.

They will be pretty well feathered out by winter. I'm in VT and I keep a heat lamp in the coop in the winter. They go near it when they need it, stay away from it when they don't. Should be fine!

I live in Central Texas. To say it's HOT right now just doesn't cover it. Today is better but still, our nights are in the 70's. My newest batch of chicks is two weeks old. Think I can put them in their cage inside of the coop now?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom