How Long Before Chicks Can Go Outside

I am also new to chickens. Our are two weeks old today. We took them out for about half an hour, but they didn't seem to enjoy it. Maybe they are still to young? Not really sure. They didn't scratch or peck. Two sat on the perch while the third laid on the ground. If we walked too far away they went crazy! Not sure what to think about their little trip outside today.
hu.gif

2 weeks might be a bit young, I think my first outside trip was 4 weeks.Sure it depends on everything, but at that age mine were still in a tiny brooder and the big bad world would have frightened them for sure.

I am happy to report, I had to go to a historical society meeting tonight and when I arrived home, all 6 girls were tucked in upstairs. I peered through the window so not to disturb them. I sure hope tomorrow is sunny. I tried to visit them as much as I could but it was so damp and miserable out there today, I didn't dare let them run. They must feel "cooped up" hehehe

Last edited:
Izzy, it's pretty common for chickens to be frightened of ANYTHING new! :) Mine freaked out last weekend over a stryofoam cup that blew out of the neighbors trash bag

we took our 1-2 week olds out in the 85 degree weather for about 10 minutes today. In that time they found (and ate) 2 worms!!! And I managed to take 73 pictures

we took our 1-2 week olds out in the 85 degree weather for about 10 minutes today. In that time they found (and ate) 2 worms!!! And I managed to take 73 pictures

Back
Top Bottom