How long can eggs sit out before incubation without them going bad?

LukeandAli

Songster
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
Carver, Oregon
DH just picked up a dozen fertile eggs for our first go at incubating; but, I don't want to start them until tomorrow (I want to be sure our incubator is well regulated). Will it hurt them to sit at room temperature for a while? I know some of the eggs were laid as far back as Wednesday of this week. That's only a couple days ago and the eggs haven't been refrigerated or washed. Will they be ok?

Thank you both! I'll put the pointy side down and keep them in the kitchen (coolest room of the house without it being "cold").
fl.gif

When I put them in the egg turner, should they be pointy side down then, too?

you should also turn them while they are sitting if you could store them in the turner while waiting to incubate them that would be perfect then when ready just set turner with the eggs into the incubator. and they do go in the turner pointy side down

you should also turn them while they are sitting if you could store them in the turner while waiting to incubate them that would be perfect then when ready just set turner with the eggs into the incubator. and they do go in the turner pointy side down

Great! Thank you! I feel like such an amateur! Oh, wait....I am....
bow.gif

And if they have been at room reg temp during transport...chill in fridge?...i think they have been out of brooding box for several hours . Still reg incubator so i cant put them in until
Tomorrow am . Please help. Ty#

I just received my eggs from a local farmer and some may be as old as a week or so already. I really wanted to wait until I get back with my Kindergarteners after Spring Break to incubate them (4/13)---will they be okay that long?

And would it be better to have them in the automatic turner while I wait, instead of the carton they're in now?

I want to be sure my kiddos get to see some hatchlings!!! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom