How long can hen be off eggs and they survive?

After two days of the chicks hatching take the remaining eggs away. She won't continue incubating them as soon she will be taking the new chicks to food.

If you incubate them yourself they won't be able to be integrated into the others. She won't accept them. Might as well take the eggs away to make space for the chicks under her and stop any chance of them breaking or crushing a chick.

Typically you collect eggs then mark them and put them all under the broody at once or let them make a clutch and once a hen starts to brood on them mark them all. This way when she collects eggs from other hens or they lay them beside her you know they are not from the original clutch and can take them away for eating.

My broodies are horrible about going to adjacent nesting boxes to collect more eggs during the incubation process. They carry them under chin and roll them up under wings to bring back to the clutch.

Be prepared to incubate the late developing eggs or remove the chicks immediately after hatching as the hen is biologically programmed to stop setting within 24 to 35 hours after the first chick hatches.

That’s great fo know! I didn’t think of that yet. I have no way of incubating the late eggs. I do have another hen that’s sitting as of yesterday though. Maybe I can move those eggs over to her? I am so new to this part. We have never had a broody hen. Now we have 2! Guess it’s contagious haha

That’s great fo know! I didn’t think of that yet. I have no way of incubating the late eggs. I do have another hen that’s sitting as of yesterday though. Maybe I can move those eggs over to her? I am so new to this part. We have never had a broody hen. Now we have 2! Guess it’s contagious haha
You could try giving the later eggs to the other broody. You never know how it will work until you try.

After two days of the chicks hatching take the remaining eggs away. She won't continue incubating them as soon she will be taking the new chicks to food.

If you incubate them yourself they won't be able to be integrated into the others. She won't accept them. Might as well take the eggs away to make space for the chicks under her

Usually I would agree with these statements, but I have just experienced a miracle hatch!!! Turning all my knowledge on its head! My broody hatched 2 chicks and like Egghead Jr said the broody abandoned the remaining eggs about 24 hours after the first chick hatched. I removed the eggs (1 x partially hatched and 1 x pipped and stone cold) but it didn’t seem right to throw them in the bin, so I placed them on top of a pile of leaves. 2 days later I was walking past the leaves when I noticed the ‘pipped’ egg had pipped a bit more, so I picked it up (still cold) and could hear a peep peep from inside!!! So action stations! Bought it inside and popped it on a heatbag on my lap and performed an assisted hatch. And what do you know... it survived!!! I warmed it up and successfully integrated it back under broody that very night.
Unbelievable! So I have come to the conclusion that nothing is impossible!!
Best of luck with your hatch 🐣

Back
Top Bottom