how long can you leave eggs out unrefrigerated?

You keep saying "frig" this and "frig" that. That's a very rude word.

Do you know that the proper abbreviation for refrigerator is "fridge"? A bit like the abbreviation: "mike" for microphone. (And yes, some do abbreviate to "mic" but this derives from sound engineers having to label the various in & outs with the available space severely restricted. You know, like: Mic01, Mic01 etc. Generally, an abbreviation like (or such as), this gets reduced to the basic phonetic.

So we have:
fridge for refrigerator
mike for microphone...

...I was really hoping for more examples than just these two.

Please, anyone?

Well, All the best and I really hope you overcome your inherent frigidity, (oops, I mean fridgidity).

Arf, arf!

No Offence.

I mean: offense.

Jus tryin to rayz a fyoo lafs

Well, taking the discussion into spelling and grammar would take it off topic, so we should probably keep this thread on topic discussing eggs and the frig. :)

Can eggs go from being refrigerated to not or is that not safe? They haven't been washed or anything.

That's what I was wondering, too... I don't wash them, but I refrigerate them. I plan on keeping future eggs on the counter but just wondered if it would be okay to take the dozen or so I've been refrigerating out to put on the counter.

That's what I was wondering, too... I don't wash them, but I refrigerate them. I plan on keeping future eggs on the counter but just wondered if it would be okay to take the dozen or so I've been refrigerating out to put on the counter.
IMHO when eggs have been refrigerated and put on the counter , condensate can remove the bloom.. same as washing them.. the bloom keeps the bacteria out.
so if an egg has been cold or washed it should be refrigerated. If the counter is 80`f or more the eggs should be refrigerated.

That's what I was wondering, too... I don't wash them, but I refrigerate them.  I plan on keeping future eggs on the counter but just wondered if it would be okay to take the dozen or so I've been refrigerating out to put on the counter.

IMHO when eggs have been refrigerated and put on the counter , condensate can remove the bloom.. same as washing them.. the bloom keeps the bacteria out.
so if an egg has been cold or washed it should be refrigerated. If the counter is 80`f or more the eggs should be refrigerated.

Thanks, @Molpet
.  I was basically thinking the same thing, but thought I'd ask.

This has been extremely helpful! I never knew that fresh eggs didn't have to be refrigerated immediately. The longest I have left eggs out is overnight, and even then I was worried, but now that I know it's okay I'll keep them out longer! I definitely agree with y'all that room temperature eggs taste better!

i keep track of each days eggs in baskets with dates on sticky note paper ,we get many eggs a day , all are unwashed but if they any are dirty , i keep the dirty ones separate & cook those for treats for my hen, all the dirty ones i collect to maybe 12 or 15 dirty egg then i hard boil them & after they cook i place them in a good size bowl and crush each one with a jar or strong glass with the shells still on, i crush them well then i mix it all into my hens dry layer feed with water &mix into a mash for them , i keep the unwashed ones out in egg cartons with pointed end down on the shelf , but if they come up to 3.5 weeks old i refrigerate them just because its a good idea, but we never had an egg that went bad , thank goodness for that , if i get to many eggs i give them away to the homeless shelters or any one who needs food , so nothi8ng gets wasted. every one eats good..!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Hopefully this thread isn't too old to reply to. I am reading this thread to find out why my unwashed/unfridged egg yolks are so loose and immediately break and run once I crack the shell? None of my unwashed eggs have ever made it past 3 weeks of age, and I wondered if that was too long. But, I just scrambled some from within the last week and they too had loose yolks. The eggs are fertilized, fresh from free-range chickens (mine), unwashed, clean, and my chickens get great food. Is the outdoor temp too warm and/or humid?? It is the northeast - our temps are in the 70's, and some days are humid. Do counter eggs need to have a limit of temps- perhaps no warmer than 65 or something? I sell some eggs and worry people will think they are bad if they yolks come out loose. Hopefully someone on here knows! Thanks!

Holy cow, it has taken me forever to find this thread again! It didn't come up in my profile at all.. had to go to my browser history to find it! So.. no reply from anyone.. perhaps I will start a new thread. There should be a forum section for "egg keeping/safety 101"... not sure where to post this question.

Hopefully this thread isn't too old to reply to. I am reading this thread to find out why my unwashed/unfridged egg yolks are so loose and immediately break and run once I crack the shell? None of my unwashed eggs have ever made it past 3 weeks of age, and I wondered if that was too long. But, I just scrambled some from within the last week and they too had loose yolks. The eggs are fertilized, fresh from free-range chickens (mine), unwashed, clean, and my chickens get great food. Is the outdoor temp too warm and/or humid?? It is the northeast - our temps are in the 70's, and some days are humid. Do counter eggs need to have a limit of temps- perhaps no warmer than 65 or something? I sell some eggs and worry people will think they are bad if they yolks come out loose. Hopefully someone on here knows! Thanks!

I think you have something else going on.
are they stored pointy end down? also try upping the protein sometimes that makes a difference. I was giving a lot of garden scraps and did have a few runny yolks until I up the protein.
I recently had a broody kick a 3 day egg out, an hour after I gave the to her, I gave her a different egg and when I opened the kicked out one... it was a runny yolk and had a meat spot.
when it is below 80f, mine sit out on the counter for 2-3 months with no issues. You could put a carton in the frig and see if that makes a difference. ..
FYI commercial egg producers have 30 days to wash the egg, put it in a carton and refrigerate it, then it is marked with a sell by date for 30 days later... so the store eggs could have sat around for almost a month before they are refrigerated.
https://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/6793/why-do-yolks-break-so-easily-sometimes

Back
Top Bottom