How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens? - OLD

How Long Have You Been Raising Chickens?

• Under 6 Months

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6 Months - 1 Year

• 1 Year

• 2 Years

• 3 Years

• 4 Years

• 5 Years

• 6 Years

• 7 Years

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 8 Years

• 9 Years

• 10 Years

• 11 - 15 Years

• 15 - 20 Years

• Over 20 Years

• No chickens yet, but hopefully soon!

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have raised chickens off and on for about 42 years now. Only been really serious about it for the last 5. We keep about 150 chickens full time and can get up around 300 - 400 at times during the year. Own and operate a mail order poultry supply business as well as an onsite store. Written and illustrated one holiday poultry book based on 'Twas the night before Christmas and working one my second book which is a raising chickens how to book and also working on a heritage family cook book. I do work with design and development of new or revised poultry products among other things poultry related.

I have had chickens for 7years. Started with cross/banties from the fair, then black silkies and Runner ducks w/ other breeds, layers and market birds. My Passion :)the past 4yrs has been white Showgirls .

I have raised chickens for 5 1/2 years now continuosly. I got down to only 5 chickens when I moved to my new place, but now have more again.

About 20 years ago our family had some RIRs for about 6 months, but I didnt count that.

Last edited:
Almost 32 years and too many breeds to remember. One of the earliest memories is hatching out a dozen eggs in a homemade incubator made from a wax covered cardboard box and a light bulb with my Mee-maw. By the way I want to welcome all newcomers and wish you much success and fun in raising poultry.
frow.gif

Since I was 5. So that would make me about 25 so yeah about 20 years LOL. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I also get a year younger every year
tongue.png

18 yrs here got them right after we built the house and farm.

Lets see, my first chickens:

March 2008 ...then: Feb 2010 & I've had chickens ever since then
tongue.png
But I sold my yr olds in 09...Now it's Oct '11 & I almost have 40 chooks.

I've been raising and hatching for almost 10 years but I have to admit that I've never had chickens older than 10 weeks in order to "fly under the radar" with ordnances. I have hatched and started almost 4 doz. chicken chicks, plus I've raised ringneck pheasant, bobwhite, and kept pigeons. My 'bator is the best christmas present I've ever gotten, to this day.

Last edited:
I have had hens and roosters for 9 years. Since I bought my home in an area with no deed restricts. Love all breeds... have had anything from naked necks to cochins... after 9 years I am seeing the differences in personality from breed to breed.... R. I. REDS and white leghorns are kinds of hyper, plymouth rocks are more relaxed, my naked necks are assertive and friendly....australops and araucanas are shy.... my hens seem to live around 5 plus years.... I sometimes rescue battery hens from the feedstore..... I have also incubated eggs, as well as buying chicks from Mc Murrary hatchery. I am an artist and love to draw chickens, check out my stuff at
http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheChickenArtist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom