How long is normal for chicks to sit under hen?

Three Silkies

Chirping
7 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Adelaide, South Australia
My six baby chicks all insist on sleeping under their mama hen even though they're 7-weeks-old. They're silkies so mama hen is quite small and can't accommodate them all, especially now they're so big. They hatched naturally and grew up outside with mama hen for warmth and no heat lamp. We're in Spring here so it's not very cold. Is this normal?

Yes I had chicks up to 8 weeks and over try to sleep under mommy. They were too big to do it but they still tried. They are just big babies. Its so funny to watch them try. Its perfectly normal. Don't worry. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Yes I had chicks up to 8 weeks and over try to sleep under mommy. They were too big to do it but they still tried. They are just big babies. Its so funny to watch them try. Its perfectly normal. Don't worry. Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Thank you. What a relief to know it's normal. It's so cute though I think Mama Hen is fast approaching had enough! Thanks for your advice.

My bitys sleep over in the corner under their old hen until they're 2-3 months old, then 1 day they all fly up the ladder to the roost and start sleeping there.

Quote: Yes, as others have said, very normal. How long she allows this depends on her instinct levels and broody cycle, but size of clutch can make a difference too. Also her experience and temperament as a mother, and your circumstances will impact how long they snuggle. Soon enough they'll start perching normally, or snuggling eachother.

Best wishes.

Yes, as others have said, very normal. How long she allows this depends on her instinct levels and broody cycle, but size of clutch can make a difference too. Also her experience and temperament as a mother, and your circumstances will impact how long they snuggle. Soon enough they'll start perching normally, or snuggling eachother.

Best wishes.

Thank you. This is her first time mothering and she's doing such a great job. I'm so proud of her.

Back
Top Bottom