How long til my roosters don't love each other?

MrsBro

In the Brooder
Sep 11, 2015
Frankenmuth, Michigan
I am the proud keeper of four lavender orpingtons, approximately 22 weeks old. Yesterday three of them started crowing up a storm. Up until that point we weren't sure if they were cockerels or pullets, it took them so long to start crowing, and they seem to live each other. They stay together while they free range, and they snuggle while they roost. I'm wondering how long they will continue to be so good, I'm worried that we should try to rehome then before any fights break out, but my husband thinks that orpingtons are gentle enough that they will continue to love each other. Does anyone have any words of wisdom, or experience dealing with this many roosters?

It can go either way with your roosters. Sometimes if roosters are raised together, they never end up fighting. A bigger concern would be your ration of roosters to hens. The recommended ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on the hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them.

I am the proud keeper of four lavender orpingtons, approximately 22 weeks old. Yesterday three of them started crowing up a storm. Up until that point we weren't sure if they were cockerels or pullets, it took them so long to start crowing, and they seem to live each other. They stay together while they free range, and they snuggle while they roost. I'm wondering how long they will continue to be so good, I'm worried that we should try to rehome then before any fights break out, but my husband thinks that orpingtons are gentle enough that they will continue to love each other. Does anyone have any words of wisdom, or experience dealing with this many roosters?

I can relate to you, you know I have 4 roosters and I have done a lot of research and have studied them from my own experience, and really they don't fight at all. The only time when roosters will fight is out of play, or if they are trained to fight by illegal cock fighters.

2 of my Roos where raised together and then the other two is father and son. The two that were raised together love to play fight! It's hilarious! :lol: Once in a blue moon will they actually fight because they are mad at each other. My other two the father and son are very nice, they never fight, but the father will peck at his son to keep him in line just like the hens do with the younger ones.

I don't think you'll have any problems, especially since the are lavender buffs like you said that breed is very sweet and docile.

Oh and also likemichael said the rooster to hen ratio, if roosters don't have enough hens to themselves they will fight, people say it's 1 roo to 10 hens, but I find this untrue, I have 17 hens and my roosters don't fight, I'm actually getting some more soon for my two younger Roos when they become of age. But if you only have 3 roosters and 22 hens, I don't think you'll have any problems, other than an occasional once a year fight.

I hope this helps. :)
If you have any more questions I'd be happy to answer them. :)

Last edited:
It can go either way with your roosters. Sometimes if roosters are raised together, they never end up fighting. A bigger concern would be your ration of roosters to hens. The recommended ratio is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature and their hormones kick in, too many roosters will become very hard physically on the hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially, seriously injuring them.
x2 on this advice.

I would love to keep them all, and they are from the same hatch, raised together (obviously). So, I think they might continue to be loving. I do have another question for you all, though. Should I separate my solitary female, or will that be too stressful on the flock? I'm not sure that I could get any more pullets at this time of year, especially the amount needed to keep the roosters occupied.
1f625.png

Thanks all! One more question about isolating my one (potential) pullet- should I try to find another pullet to put with her, so she's not lonely? Or am I being crazy?

How big is your run? Can you just put something temporary up so they are seperate but still together? That way she won't be too lonely and she won't be jumped on constantly till you get more hens.
Like this was for a broody, just plastic wire and tomato stakes. I just let her back in the coop to sleep at night

Last edited:
If you keep your roosters in a bachelor pad - out of sight of hens - they may get along well for quite a while. But sooner or later they will get fed up watching TV sports and drinking beer - could you let 3 of them go elsewhere so they can have flocks of their own?

X 3 on this.

If you have just one pullet you should separate her. You may want to post some updated pictures too, to see if you have 3 cockerels and a pullet or 4 cockerels. I saw and older picture of them that you posted and at that time they had similar comb development.

Back
Top Bottom