How many brooder plates do I need for my chicks?

artvandolay

Songster
Feb 16, 2023
So. California
I have been reading the posts about brooder plates and it seems that they overestimate how many can fit under a plate. I plan on incubating about 2 dozen.

Does anyone have experience with this one? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BP6MJ4K6 Is one enough for do I need 2?

It says 10 for an 8x12 plate it will keep 10, but I also live in Southern California so it isn't too cold except at night where it can get into the 40s and 50s right now. Not sure if that makes a difference.

TIA

Here is the description below if you need to see:

About this item​

• 【Temperature Control Mode】: Our chick brooder is equipped with stepless temperature control system, the maximum working temperature can reach 180℉, the adjustable temperature range is 120℉-180℉, you can adjust the temperature according to different growth cycles; for example, when you adjust to 150℉, it will automatically heat to 150℉ and thermostatically control, so you can adjust to the right temperature for different poultry, so they can stay warm in the cold winter , healthy and fast growth. 8 "x12" heating plate can heat 10 chicks, ducklings, geese and other domesticated birds.
  • 【360 degree adjustable angle height】: Chick brooder heater can keep your poultry warm, 360 degree adjustable design can change the space to the best heating area according to the size of different animals, you can adjust the angle and height through the small holes on both sides to bring warmth to your pets and poultry.
  • 【Keep your chicks warm】: The chick brooder simulates a hen to keep the chicks warm, precisely control the temperature, keep the temperature not too high and not too low, keep the chicks warm and promote their healthy growth and feather development; lay some heat-absorbing materials under the brooder, such as blankets, sawdust, etc., for better results.
  • 【Energy Saving】:Our brooder uses only 59 watts per hour, which is more efficient, safer and more energy-saving than ordinary heating lamps. The casing is made of flame retardant material to reduce the risk of fire and burning chickens.
  • 【Multiple Uses】:Chicks stay warm by directly touching the bottom of the heating plate. The surface of the chick brooder is hot to the touch, but just right for the chicks! Suitable for newborn chicks, ducklings, quail and baby birds, and can also be used to heat household pets. No need to worry about scalding due to its constant temperature effect.
  • 【Temperature Description】:The surface temperature of the brooding pavilion is different from the radiation temperature, the radiation temperature will be lower than the surface temperature of the brooding pavilion, the reason why the temperature is set to 120℉-180℉ is to make the radiation temperature higher and more suitable for the growth of chicks. Please do not touch the brooder heating plate directly with your hands, as this may burn your hands. Preheat for one hour before use for better results

the temperature is set to 120℉-180℉ is to make the radiation temperature higher and more suitable for the growth of chicks. Please do not touch the brooder heating plate directly with your hands, as this may burn your hands. Preheat for one hour before use for better results
This part concerns me. The chicks will jump on it.

I think you can set it higher up. But their fur will prevent them from getting too hot when touching it for a sec I would think.

It also says this:
  • 【Multiple Uses】:Chicks stay warm by directly touching the bottom of the heating plate. The surface of the chick brooder is hot to the touch, but just right for the chicks! Suitable for newborn chicks, ducklings, quail and baby birds, and can also be used to heat household pets. No need to worry about scalding due to its constant temperature effect.

Absolutely not one. The reccomendation for how many chicks you can fit under a brooder plate are about as useful as the recommendations for how many chickens you can put in a prefab coop. If a brooder plate says it can fit 10 chicks comfortably they mean if you cram them in shoulder to shoulder and everyone gets along peachy. That's never how it plays out. For a brooder plate that says it can fit 10 chicks I would say 7 max you could fit under there comfortably. Even if it only gets cold at night where you are located one plate for 24 chicks you WILL have chicks stuck out in the cold air. I have used several brands of brooder plates not once has it been appropriately sized for the recommended amount of chicks.

Edit: Sorry my phone died when I wasn't finished. You would need three plates for 24 chicks.

Last edited:
I think you can set it higher up. But their fur will prevent them from getting too hot when touching it for a sec I would think.

It also says this:
If I can't touch it for risk of burn, I would not put chicks near it.

I plan on incubating about 2 dozen.
Go for a larger one or get two.. Those descriptions exagerate. I was gonna compare to prefab coops,, but see somebody has stated that now.

Their semi insulated in my experience and chicks hang out on top happily.. (differnt brands). But taken from the OP's description, quote follows.. The top may have some "radiation" but is not the brooding plate surface.

:The surface temperature of the brooding pavilion is different from the radiation temperature, the radiation temperature will be lower than the surface temperature of the brooding pavilion,
ETA: I've used both these successfully, temp is controlled by height.

https://www.amazon.com/Rural365-Chick-Heating-Plate-Brooder/dp/B0914RWVPC/ref=sr_1_23?crid=3978690M1J6TU&keywords=brooder+plate&qid=1676927434&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=brooder+plate,lawngarden,297&sr=1-23&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

https://www.amazon.com/RentACoop-Heating-Plate-16/dp/B074NBP77R/ref=sr_1_18?crid=3978690M1J6TU&keywords=brooder+plate&qid=1676927434&s=lawn-garden&sprefix=brooder+plate,lawngarden,297&sr=1-18&ufe=app_do:amzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

ETAA: notice we all presume maximum hatch rate! :jumpy:jumpy

Last edited:
Absolutely not. The reccomendation for how many chicks you can fit under a brooder plate are about as useful as the recommendations for how many chickens you can put in a prefab coop. If a brooder plate says it can fit 10 chicks comfortably they mean if you cram them in shoulder to shoulder and everyone gets along peachy. That's never how it plays out. For a brooder plate that says it can fit 10 chicks I would say 7 max you could fit under there comfortably. Even if it only gets cold at night where you are located one plate for 24 chicks you WILL have chicks stuck out in the cold air. I have used several brands of brooder plates not once has it been appropriately sized for the recommended amount of chicks.
Do you recommend keeping them indoors or outside then? I was gonna keep them outside, but I think I may keep them inside where it's in the 70s, but will that be warm enough even if some are pushed out. I think they all move around so some that are left out will get their turn, just like a hen when they don't all fit underneath???

I bought the Rent-A-Coop heating plate on Amazon. I had 16x Day old chicks. I went with the biggest plate they had (16x24). And stated it was big enough for 50 chicks. I figured that number was grossly overrated. It was much bigger than I needed. But worked perfectly for me. I'd recommend one to anyone getting chicks. It would hold 25+ chicks easily. Whichever plate you decide to get, I highly recommend splurging on the no-roost cover. It'll save you a lot of time cleaning poop off the top of it. I'm glad I got one for mine.

Attachments

• 20220904_143425.jpg
    20220904_143425.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220904_223741.jpg
    20220904_223741.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 22

Back
Top Bottom