How many brooder plates do I need for my chicks?

Yes. That's the exact one I got. And I can't say anything bad about it. It worked great for me. All my chickens are 25 weeks 1 day now. And some have already started laying. So the heat plate definitely did its job.
Thanks all for helping. I returned the one I posted about and got the Rent-A-Coop one. I figured it will fit all of them and in this case, more (or larger) is better just in case since most companies overestimate space. I will be trying to hatch 27, but I don't think the rate for hatching all of them, so 50% would be about 13 or 14. That should be more than enough space for this first run.

I think you can set it higher up. But their fur will prevent them from getting too hot when touching it for a sec I would think.

It also says this:
  • 【Multiple Uses】:Chicks stay warm by directly touching the bottom of the heating plate. The surface of the chick brooder is hot to the touch, but just right for the chicks! Suitable for newborn chicks, ducklings, quail and baby birds, and can also be used to heat household pets. No need to worry about scalding due to its constant temperature effect.
DFDCA7D1-5C3C-4F46-9FD8-395E41B13544.jpeg

12 2-week old standard sized chicks under Brinsea 600 heat plate. By 3 weeks they were roosting on top consistently, hence the cover and towel as shown.
This unit was not hot to the touch on top snd has no warnings to avoid touching by humans due to risk of burns.
Your unit specifically warns of burns. Look at Brinsea scratch and dent. I got this one, works perfectly and was around $80 in 2022.
If I had to do it over again I would get the 1200 size but look at two 600s if cost effective. good luck

View attachment 3411117
12 2-week old standard sized chicks under Brinsea 600 heat plate. By 3 weeks they were roosting on top consistently, hence the cover and towel as shown.
This unit was not hot to the touch on top snd has no warnings to avoid touching by humans due to risk of burns.
Your unit specifically warns of burns. Look at Brinsea scratch and dent. I got this one, works perfectly and was around $80 in 2022.
If I had to do it over again I would get the 1200 size but look at two 600s if cost effective. good luck
Thanks for replying! I ended up going with the 24-16 Rent-a-Coop one that @ShaunJ421 recommended. It was the priciest I think, but I won't have to worry about it being too small and it will use less electricity than 2 and it has the anti-roost cover to keep them off. Keeping my fingers crossed it all works out!

Back
Top Bottom