How Many Chickens Do You Have in Your Flock?

My big, mixed flock is sitting at 44 chickens right now
Breeding pens for my silkied Cochins are at 3, 4, and 5 birds respectively, at least for the moment
I have two bachelor groups of 3 and 4 roosters respectively, but two of those roosters are being sold out of one group
Two additional roosters in individual pens
Lastly is a rooster who is penned with my only duck to keep her company
Oh, and 12 chicks, 8 more on the way so far, but not all of those will be kept

Not counting the roosters being sold or the chicks out of whom I don't yet know which will be kept and which not, that puts me at 64 chickens and one duck. 🙂

Editing, oh, yes, and a ton of different breeds. Cochins, OEGBs, Dorkings, Plymouth Rocks, Easter-eggers, Silkies, Marans, some mixes, and various other breeds of which I've only got one individual.

Editing again because I can't count 😅

Last edited:
We had 70+/- in February but I did a purge in April and converted all the older hens to either stewbirds or dog food, depending on the quality of the carcass. We have about 35 now and it's a happy number for my wife. My happy number would be closer to 20-25.

We're also moving from a very mixed flock of Ameraucanas, Marans, their offspring, and a few other odds and ends to a flock of Rhode Island Red hens and Bresse hens with two Bresse roosters over them. At this point, I have a gorgeous Bresse rooster and three beautiful hens separated in a breeding pen, and a lesser quality Bresse rooster and a RIR rooster over the rest of the flock.

For a Novice, please explain.....☺️
Plymouth Rock can come in a variety of colors & patterns. A few of the most common are:
Barred
1684286034922.jpeg

Partridge
1684286057001.jpeg

Columbian
1684286084863.jpeg

They can also just be solid color, like buff or white.

Plymouth Rock is the breed, “Barred”, “Partridge”, “Buff” describes their pattern or coloring. The full name of what you want is a Barred Plymouth Rock Bantam. Hope that helps!

New number: 53 Adult birds, 15 chicks, 9 Juveniles(Older chicks), 3 Ducklings, 5 BB Bronze Turkey poults, 14 eggs in the incubator, 9 eggs under a broody, & 2 due to hatch under a broody.

Also, 5 Saipans coming in June.

Back
Top Bottom