how many chicks for our flock?

college town chick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
We're going to get chickens, and how many should we, could we feasibly keep?

We live in town and have a 80x200 yard, and plan on a 10x20 coop with about a 10x20 permanent enclosed run which they will stay in with free range in the yard for periods of the day when we can supervise.

There are 5 in the family -- 7 when the girls come home on leave, and we're a bunch of egg lovers. We go through at least 2 dozen eggs a week right now, and I'm sure we'd eat more if we could.

We've decided upon Barred Rocks, Brahmas, and Speckled Sussex as our main birds, with a few Buff Orps and Aussies thrown in for variety -- and maybe a couple of Barnevelders and Welsummers too, not sure yet (I'm having a hard time picking bird breeds, they're all so neat).

Oh yes they are so 'neat'
tongue.png
I'm having a hard time to decide too. If you are looking at egg production then I would suggest some Rhode Island Reds or White Leghorns. Both lay a great amount of eggs. RIR's lay brown eggs, leghorns white. Good luck choosing
smile.png

I would say no more than 25 or 30 at max. Yeah rirs lay a lot and white leghorns do too. Let us know what you chose and you have to show us pics.lol

Last edited by a moderator:
You have room for 50. But 50 hens would lay around 9000 eggs. Do you want to go into the egg business?
wink.png
Plenty of room for 25, which will net you about 4500 eggs the first year of laying. If you just want eggs for eating yourself, they say one hen per person.

Back
Top Bottom