How Many Eggs Did You Get Today?

DH and I left on vacation 5 days ago leaving our 24 year old daughter to look after the chickens. Before leaving my Leghorn, Lilly, had been laying an egg a day consistently for the past three weeks. DD reports this morning that she has only gotten one egg since we left. I'm sure its because she does not go out and turn the light on in the morning. How long will it be before she gets back on track after we return home in a week? Also, should I increase their supplemental light gradually?

On a humorous note, my DD's fiancé has been helping her with the chicken chores, until my Peachick pecked at him. Now he's afraid to go back in the coop! This is the vicious chick that pecked him......

Lol!!!

Last edited:
DH and I left on vacation 5 days ago leaving our 24 year old daughter to look after the chickens. Before leaving my Leghorn, Lilly, had been laying an egg a day consistently for the past three weeks. DD reports this morning that she has only gotten one egg since we left. I'm sure its because she does not go out and turn the light on in the morning. How long will it be before she gets back on track after we return home in a week? Also, should I increase their supplemental light gradually? On a humorous note, my DD's fiancé has been helping her with the chicken chores, until my Peachick pecked at him. Now he's afraid to go back in the coop! This is the vicious chick that pecked him...... Lol!!!
Aww who could be afraid of that cutie. I just recently admitted to my hubby that before we got chickens bigger birds in general kinda made me nervous but then we got chicks and I love my girls. I think had we got them as adults I may not have liked them as well but watching them grow from cute little chicks to beautiful girls has been so much fun.

Last edited:
DH and I left on vacation 5 days ago leaving our 24 year old daughter to look after the chickens. Before leaving my Leghorn, Lilly, had been laying an egg a day consistently for the past three weeks. DD reports this morning that she has only gotten one egg since we left. I'm sure its because she does not go out and turn the light on in the morning. How long will it be before she gets back on track after we return home in a week? Also, should I increase their supplemental light gradually?

On a humorous note, my DD's fiancé has been helping her with the chicken chores, until my Peachick pecked at him. Now he's afraid to go back in the coop! This is the vicious chick that pecked him......

Lol!!!

Are your birds confined indoors? I only ask because of the reference to your lighting concern, and at this point in the year the natural daylight is still sufficient to stimulate laying - provided the birds have the access to it (via windows or outdoor access).

I have been finding 3/18 for 2 weeks and the last three days have had another pullet come forward so at just over 17 weeks it's 4/18.

Color me happy!

Back
Top Bottom