How many Eggs did you Sell today?

This is my 1st year and I'm just now getting about 7 eggs/day. I'm getting another dozen chicks Wednesday. Now I'm ready to try to sell. I'll put a sign out front and I'm thinking of loading a few dozen in my truck and seeing what kind of response I get selling just off the highway.

My long term plan is for selling my tomatoes and eggs next June.

I think I'll put a money jar out with the eggs ... I've done that selling firewood and never lost a cent.

Just a word to those out there who may be like I was ... a newbie but my ladies had began producing more eggs than I could use so I started trying to sell my extra eggs. I put up a sign and ran an ad in my small hometown paper, but after a month I hadn't had a bit of interest and I was getting very discouraged. Then one day my phone rang and sure enough it was my 1st order ... a whopping six dozen with a promise for weekly orders. And selling at $3/dozen. It just made me feel very good as I couldn't understand why people wouldn't be anxious for these eggs that we all know to be so much better than store bought eggs.

Now I'm wondering about increasing my flock. I have 8 pullets that are 8 months old. I also have 9 more chicks that should be producing by next June. I just hate it that now as I know I can't meet the demand ... yet there has to be a limit to how many chickens I want. At least this problem is so much better than my earlier problem when it seemed no one wanted my eggs.

We normally sell around 4 dozen a week at 4 dollars a dozen, we also occasionally sell 18 counts for 6 dollars. All our sales are at work to coworkers who keep wanting more eggs. This week we only sold one dozen because my fiance has committed himself to bringing all the eggs for the Christmas brunch at his work. Needless to say, my regulars are disappointed that we wont have any to sell for a bit as a result. Everyone at work knows we have chickens and sell eggs so they all bring us cartons constantly so we never have had to buy any and have quite the stockpile. We are so glad we have our girls now. Hard to remember not having our own eggs and buying them.....

Sold 6 dozen this week for $22, these chickens are slacking
1f914.png

I've been retired for 13 years now but only started raising chickens 8 months ago. I've got 8 pullets that are producing 4-5 dozen eggs a week. I just bought another 9 chicks. I'm really enjoying the eggs for our use and now I've got customers. I've had so much pleasure from building the coop/run and now the pleasure of sharing my eggs. I'm having a hard time deciding just how many chickens I want/need. I hate it to not have enough to meet the demand yet I know I need to settle on a number. Of course it will never be a profitable business ... I spent about $1200 on the coop ... and I think I've reached maximum capacity. For these 8 months I allowed my chickens to free range and never lost a one ... until this week. One of my girls just disappeared. I have coyotes around. Since I couldn't find any signs of an attack I suspect a coyote. I think they would just grab one and take it off to eat it. I think if it had been a dog I would have found the place where my girl was killed. I've known that allowing them to free range was dangerous but now I've lost one. I just hate to confine them to the coop/run ... but I need to realize it's for their own good.

I've got 8 pullets that are producing 4-5 dozen eggs a week. I just bought another 9 chicks. I'm really enjoying the eggs for our use and now I've got customers. I'm having a hard time deciding just how many chickens I want/need. I hate it to not have enough to meet the demand yet I know I need to settle on a number.

It depends on how big is your coop and/or run if your confining them for their safety. On how many chickens to have without giving them crowded stressful housing, also on how much eggs you want to supply. Keep in mind some will molt and slow down and or stop productions from few weeks to few months depends on type of hens.

I started w/ 10 layers last year thinking I had more than plenty of hens to supply eggs for us until friends started buying eggs. This spring we added 13 more chicks, one was a cockerels had to be rehomed, and 1 disappeared when it got out never to be found after laying for few weeks.
So 11 new layers, only getting about 50% production since the year old chickens went molting.

Well, I'm pumped now. After a slow discouraging start I finally got 'in' with an office full of ladies who are becoming great customers. The 1st week they ordered 6 doz, then the next week 8 dozen. I'm so happy. I've enjoyed the whole bit ... building the coop and run. Now I've got 8 hens laying and 9 month old chicks. I've started construction on a new coop and I'll add another 18 chicks as soon as it's completed. Of course it's about the money but it's more about completing the circle. I really enjoy my chickens but without an outlet for the eggs I was feeling incomplete.

Seems when you find customers who appreciate fresh eggs they are really good customers. I hate that I can't meet demand right now but by next June I hope that's resolved.

I can't see ever getting into the black but that's okay ... I'm having fun.

Back
Top Bottom