How many Eggs did you Sell today?

I am selling approx. 3 dozen a week to my wifes coworkers who absolutely love them! We get $3.50 a dozen and it helps pay for their feed.
Just sold 4 dozen this week.

We also try to hold back enough for our needs and family who enjoy free eggs too. It's a balancing act but is working so far.

I have 11 girls laying now and 4 more RIR that should start laying anytime now. I actually think one or two of them are laying now because
I'm getting a few small eggs.

When the daylight got shorter my production went down until I started adding an extra three hours of light to the coop once it becomes dark.
That seems to have returned production to normal now, as we are getting 9 to 10 eggs a day from the 11 laying girls.

I also give my neighbor a dozen a week because our coop is 80 feet from his front door. He does't mind and enjoys getting the
Free eggs. He was also raised around chickens growing up and is a country boy like me.

I am new to having chickens even though I grew up going to my grand parents farm who raised about 100 chickens and sold eggs for $.10 a dozen.
I remember grandma answering her phone that was on a party line and taking orders for her eggs. One of my favorite memories of going to the farm and spending the night was being able to help grandma collect the eggs. i'm sure grandma is looking down on me with satisfaction.

Eggs are finally piling up again after a hard moult this fall. Time to start selling again, I just wish the other people in the area with chickens would stop undercutting everyone with 2 dollars and less per dozen eggs, it doesn't even pay for feed around here at that cost. Not to mention it makes absolutely no sense to sell that cheap when crappy store eggs are more than that, ugh. :(

Last edited:
I hear you bluecoondawg! Someone up the road from me 2 miles is selling for $2-$2.50 a dozen depending on size. I still charge $3.50 a dozen and have enough orders to keep up barely.

No matter how hard it gets, i'll make scrambled eggs for my dogs to eat before I sell my eggs
For 1/2 of what the grocery store prices are. And, store eggs aren't free range either!

My time, feed, treats ect. Are worth more than $2.50 a dozen and I won't be a part of selling
A product that undercuts normal pricing and makes it impossible to recoop even feed costs.

I hear you bluecoondawg! Someone up the road from me 2 miles is selling for $2-$2.50 a dozen depending on size. I still charge $3.50 a dozen and have enough orders to keep up barely.

No matter how hard it gets, i'll make scrambled eggs for my dogs to eat before I sell my eggs
For 1/2 of what the grocery store prices are. And, store eggs aren't free range either!

My time, feed, treats ect. Are worth more than $2.50 a dozen and I won't be a part of selling
A product that undercuts normal pricing and makes it impossible to recoop even feed costs.

I have never sold our eggs. We do give them to family and neighbors. But my fridge has so many eggs in it, I think I need to sell some. I always see the little signs when I go to town but they only say Fresh Brown Eggs for sale. I never I do not know what they sell them for, I guess I should ask around. But I have white eggs also. And I have Ameraucanas that will lay soon too. So maybe I can get some customers that like a variety. Our family members always ask for brown, so at first we ate all the white. Then I started mixing them half and half no matter what. lol My husband says I am mean.

Exactly, I got so many cross looks from people even at 2.50 a dozen when they'd ask about my eggs. People have absolutely no idea the cost involved with keeping chickens especially with keeping enough of them that you can supply half the neighborhood with eggs. The only people who don't scoff about price are people who have raised chickens themselves in the past and know what it costs or a couple customers I have that have a few bucks and prefer to buy local meat and eggs as much as they can. Occasionally I see an ad on craigslist for 1 dollar a dozen, I want to call them and give a piece of my mind

I have never sold our eggs. We do give them to family and neighbors. But my fridge has so many eggs in it, I think I need to sell some. I always see the little signs when I go to town but they only say Fresh Brown Eggs for sale. I never I do not know what they sell them for, I guess I should ask around. But I have white eggs also. And I have Ameraucanas that will lay soon too. So maybe I can get some customers that like a variety. Our family members always ask for brown, so at first we ate all the white. Then I started mixing them half and half no matter what. lol My husband says I am mean.

There are a lot of people who think the white egg means it's a store egg, they don't get it that a fresh egg is a fresh egg no matter the color. If you have not sold eggs previously I would set your price at whatever the store is, anyone with any sense will rather buy fresh eggs from a good operation than old store eggs, then go from there. I have learned from experience that once you start dropping your price it's hard to go back up people will get mad and go elsewhere. I'm thinking of raising back up to 3 dollars especially with store prices being higher they might at least recoup most my feed costs, with store price being what it is i should charge 4 dollars for my superior product but people in my area will be reluctant to pay that, I'm not near a metro area with tons of people if i were I'm sure i could do much better on eggs as well as meat birds.

Last edited:
There are a lot of people who think the white egg means it's a store egg, they don't get it that a fresh egg is a fresh egg no matter the color. If you have not sold eggs previously I would set your price at whatever the store is, anyone with any sense will rather buy fresh eggs from a good operation than old store eggs, then go from there. I have learned from experience that once you start dropping your price it's hard to go back up people will get mad and go elsewhere. I'm thinking of raising back up to 3 dollars especially with store prices being higher they might at least recoup most my feed costs, with store price being what it is i should charge 4 dollars for my superior product but people in my area will be reluctant to pay that, I'm not near a metro area with tons of people if i were I'm sure i could do much better on eggs as well as meat birds.

Thanks for that advise. I agree with you 100%. And eggs got really high recently, around here they have went back down a little bit but a dozen of eggs is easily right a $4 bucks here in the stores. I have a neighbor that buys me a bag of feed each month because I give her eggs, but that's usually about 3 dozen eggs maybe 4. SO I feel that's def fair for me. I will be following that advise and see how it works out for me. Thanks

Our cheapest store eggs are at kwik trip gas stations they were always 99 cents but then went up to I believe 1.99, but if you go to the regular small town grocery store your are looking at 3 something, some of the higher ones are over 4. Just stick with your pricing and try to gain customers who care that you have a good product, don't let the eye rolls sway you, those people are perfectly happy buying factory farmed flavorless garbage from the Walmart, let them eat that garbage if that's what they want

We have an egg business here in Oregon.

I have 100 hens currently sort of laying as weather permits.

23 dozen sold to the market last week! I wholesale my eggs for $5.58 a dozen and they sell for $7.49. Our eggs are pasture raised and organic. I have 150 little pullets who will come into lay in Feb and March. Our hope is that the revenue from these hens will pay for this obsession of mine and employ someone 20 hours a week on the farm for the various projects we have here!

I continue to breed LF English Orpingtons in almost every color (while working on new ones) along with olive eggers and marans for our every growing egg flock!

We have an egg business here in Oregon.

I have 100 hens currently sort of laying as weather permits.

23 dozen sold to the market last week! I wholesale my eggs for $5.58 a dozen and they sell for $7.49. Our eggs are pasture raised and organic. I have 150 little pullets who will come into lay in Feb and March. Our hope is that the revenue from these hens will pay for this obsession of mine and employ someone 20 hours a week on the farm for the various projects we have here!

I continue to breed LF English Orpingtons in almost every color (while working on new ones) along with olive eggers and marans for our every growing egg flock!

Wow that is awesome! Sounds like fun. I didn't want chickens.... my kids did and I said no and daddy said yes. We started with 6, and we now have 36 and a turkey. It sure didn't take me long to get attached. My son keeps reminded me that they are his, which is why we keep getting more. lol The new ones after the original 6 are all mine. But he has been wanting to sell eggs every since we got them. And we have quite a few swaps in our area and a big farmers market as well. So hopefully he is on to something and will stick with it.

Back
Top Bottom