How many eggs do you get weekly? What do you do with the extra eggs?

csaylorchickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2015
California
My Coop
My Coop
I have four hens. I got three small eggs today. I am guessing they will each lay four eggs a week, give or take so at least a dozen eggs a week!
I am thinkin of donating the extra eggs to the food bank.
What do you do with your extra eggs?

That's an awesome idea!!
thumbsup.gif

Right now are hens aren't laying so well. We have over twenty hens and get less then a dozen eggs a day. However, we use to get over three dozen a day and we sold some to some friends, gave some to the dogs, and fed some back to the chickens for a vitamin and protein boost.

Howdy csaylorchickens

I have 6 bantams who lay every day, or second day. 2 of the girls are only young, 1 has not started laying yet and 1 has laid only 2 eggs.

With previously having only 4 girls, the most eggs I have ever got on one day are 3 [hopefully that will change soon
wink.png
].

Being our winter, we do not eat a lot of eggs [more in summer in salads] so besides the half a dozen I scramble once a week to feed back to the girls, the rest are surplus and I give them away to my neighbours.

The neighbours appreciate them and even though they have no problems with the girls, free eggs help retain neighbour friendships
smile.png

my chickens aren't laying eggs so well either. i have six hens and used to get a little less than half dozen a day. now only 2 or 3 a day. I used to sell to neighbors and give some to people. i also baked a lot t use them and gave the baked goods to friends. i thing your idea to give some to the food bank is a great idea.
celebrate.gif

Good luck on getting those eggs and let me know what you do with the extra ones!

They only have been laying for a week and I now have ten eggs total. Made a huge omelet for breakfast and used all of the eggs for the family. I just wasn't sure on what to expect as far as how many eggs per week per hen. Mine average 299 per year for the breed they were supposed to be golden sex links but come to find out they are salmon faverolles. They have been a better breed and a lot more fun so I happy!

I have 9 pullets and 2 roosters, all RIR's. I ordered 10 pullets and one roo but it turned out that there was a 2nd roo) they were born 5/15 so I'm hoping for eggs around the 1st of November. I live on an acre and I'm letting them free range. I'm really happy that I started this and everything is going well. I'll be so happy when the roosters start crowing...that's the only reason I bought them. And I plan to accumulate the extra eggs until I have 10-12 dozen... then I intend to put out a sign offering them for sale. I like the idea of letting them pay for some of their feed bill and I enjoy having people stop by. I'm thinking of having a sign that says 'Fresh Eggs Today'...then when I'm sold out I'll put the sign away.

I'm a little concerned about letting them free range. I know that one animal coming through could really set me back but I love to see them out and they love being out...so I'm taking a chance. I hope that in a couple of months as the roosters mature they will protect my hens.

It's been a pleasure to this point. Funny but when the roosters were very young they would approach me (posturing). Even when I would push them back they would come right back at me. But now we have a good relationship. I have no interest in making them pets and when I'm feeding and watering them I make sure to walk right through them making them get out of my way. They seem to know now that I'm the dominant one. I really want roosters but I intend to give them their space and I won't tolerate any aggression towards me.

I have 9 pullets and 2 roosters, all RIR's. I ordered 10 pullets and one roo but it turned out that there was a 2nd roo)  they were born 5/15 so I'm hoping for eggs around the 1st of November. I live on an acre and I'm letting them free range. I'm really happy that I started this and everything is going well. I'll be so happy when the roosters start crowing...that's the only reason I bought them. And I plan to accumulate the extra eggs until I have 10-12 dozen... then I intend to put out a sign offering them for sale. I like the idea of letting them pay for some of their feed bill and I enjoy having people stop by. I'm thinking of having a sign that says 'Fresh Eggs Today'...then when I'm sold out I'll put the sign away.

I'm a little concerned about letting them free range. I know that one animal coming through could really set me back but I love to see them out and they love being out...so I'm taking a chance. I hope that in a couple of months as the roosters mature they will protect my hens.

It's been a pleasure to this point. Funny but when the roosters were very young they would approach me (posturing). Even when I would push them back they would come right back at me. But now we have a good relationship. I have no interest in making them pets and when I'm feeding and watering them I make sure to walk right through them making them get out of my way. They seem to know now that I'm the dominant one. I really want roosters but I intend to give them their space and I won't tolerate any aggression towards me.  

My RIR were hatched 5/18 and my little Johnny Mack has been practicing his crow every morning for a week now. My neighbors heard him before I did. Yesterday was my first time hearing him. So listen carefully, they may already be crowing.

I get up early...at 1st light...a little before my chicks leave the roost. I'm hearing impaired so they'll need to sing out....but I also live in the country and it's very quiet so I'll be able to hear them and I'm so anxious to listen to them.

With a little luck my tomato plants will survive this terrible west Texas heat and this fall I'll have fresh eggs and garden tomatoes.

I'll be one happy camper if that comes to pass.

Give to friends and neighbors. Hard boil and give to chickens and dogs. Feed egg shell crushed back to laying hens. Oh, and when all else fails, eat lots of egg salad sandwiches!

Back
Top Bottom