How many eggs do you get weekly? What do you do with the extra eggs?

csaylorchickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2015
California
My Coop
My Coop
I have four hens. I got three small eggs today. I am guessing they will each lay four eggs a week, give or take so at least a dozen eggs a week!
I am thinkin of donating the extra eggs to the food bank.
What do you do with your extra eggs?

I bake. Today I made this cake.

Easy Angel Food Cake
(decadently better than box cake)

Combine and beat until soft peaks form:
2 C egg whites
3/4 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
Sift together well:
1 C flour
3/4 C sugar

Fold sifted flour and sugar into eggs a little at a time. (If you have a mixer with an egg whisk you can use it to mix the flour in. Add the sifted flour and sugar a 1/3 at a time. Turn on the mixer for a few seconds on low speed with each addition to just barely mix in flour.)
Pour into angel food cake pan and run a knife through the batter to settle and remove large air bubbles.
Bake at 375 for 40 to 45 minutes.
Invert pan and allow to cool upside down.

Then with the egg yolks I made noodles. I substitute 2 egg yolks for each egg. I multiply the recipe by the number of egg yolks I have left over from the cake. Today I ended up using 9 cups of flour. I will let them dry a bit and then place them in plastic bags in the freezer. They make amazing chicken noodle soup and fettuccine.
----------------------------------------------------
Amish Egg Noodles
1 Cup flour
1 egg (or 2 egg yolks)
1 Tbs oil
3 Tbs water

Knead dough for 5 minutes. Allow dough to rest
45 minutes.
Roll out to 1/4” thick.
Allow to dry. Cut into thin strips and dry some more.
--------------------------------------------------
If I am pressed for time and don't want to make noodle this egg custard is great. Again just figure 2 egg yolks per egg.

Quick Egg Custard

• 12 eggs
    • 4 cups of milk
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract.
    • Beat ingredients.
      Strain and pour into baking dish.
      Place baking dish in a roasting pan and fill pan 3/4 full with water.
      Bake at 350 for 45min-1hour.
    • This makes a big batch. It could be cut in half for a smaller portion.

Last edited:
Howdy csaylorchickens

I have 6 bantams who lay every day, or second day. 2 of the girls are only young, 1 has not started laying yet and 1 has laid only 2 eggs.

With previously having only 4 girls, the most eggs I have ever got on one day are 3 [hopefully that will change soon
wink.png
].

Being our winter, we do not eat a lot of eggs [more in summer in salads] so besides the half a dozen I scramble once a week to feed back to the girls, the rest are surplus and I give them away to my neighbours.

The neighbours appreciate them and even though they have no problems with the girls, free eggs help retain neighbour friendships
smile.png

I get up early...at 1st light...a little before my chicks leave the roost. I'm hearing impaired so they'll need to sing out....but I also live in the country and it's very quiet so I'll be able to hear them and I'm so anxious to listen to them.

With a little luck my tomato plants will survive this terrible west Texas heat and this fall I'll have fresh eggs and garden tomatoes.

I'll be one happy camper if that comes to pass.

That does sound like a fun bunch of hens!

We eat around 15 a week we all love eggs!

I think orpington is what would make sense for my flock

I have a new coop in the making and can add around 4 more so I will have to choose what I want by this spring!

I'm only getting 4 per day so far but should be at 12 soon. Eggs are $4.69/dz here. Ca made some new laws that ran egg farmers out of the state and restricts eggs brought into the state. So...we have a community FB buy sell trade page where we share our fresh eggs with neighbors for $3./dz. I plan to reserve 4dz per week for the nearby women's shelter.

This is where I get concernes. I like the idea of free ranging all the time.
If you have a really large coop and run and not let the hens free range too much I think that would cut down on exposure to other birds that could be carrying diseases. So I have a large run that is split into two areas, 12x12 and a 5x5 area. That is for four hens and I want six total soon. That's plenty of roaming space and keeps me more comfy

Back
Top Bottom