How many eggs do you get weekly? What do you do with the extra eggs?

Wow! Judging from the egg basket photo used for this thread, this person has a few chicken breeds. So much color and size! Beautiful display. We are down to 6 hens right now with a whole bunch of juveniles to start laying at any time now. We make good use of a mini refrigerator in the garage and store any uneaten or unsold eggs in there. Unwashed refrigerated eggs will last a really long time. With fall and winter not far off in the distance, stocking up on extra eggs is not a bad idea. A nice batch of scrambled eggs over biscuits and gravy will taste mighty good on a cold day!:drool

So will it help the egg shortage! With the 52 million birds that were wiped out due to the Avian Flu!

I have 13 bantams and get 6-11 eggs per day. I think some of them are still figuring it out. I've been making momofuku soy sauce eggs. http://food52.com/recipes/35930-momofuku-s-soy-sauce-eggs

They are so delicious on bread or salads or just as a snack or part of lunch. I pretty much have them in the fridge all the time and they just kind of disappear, I think the little size helps them be the perfect snack. I've taken to running multiple batches of eggs through the same jar of marinade that I keep in the fridge, the third set come out just as great as the first and I feel much less wasteful.

I also tried pickling some this weekend, as I anticipate a drop in production in winter.

I have 10 ladies 5 months old started laying about 4 weeks ago. Must be up to full speed as I am getting 8-10/day. 5 different types 2 ea. Family of 5 we eat about 2 doz a week. I have 7 doz for sale in fridge. What doesn't sell will be frozen for use this winter when laying slows down.

We have 6 hens and they are finally all laying. Been getting 4 to 5 eggs a day for the past week. My kids eat a lot but today I gave some to my neighbor since we had a surplus. Cool thing was I gave them the 5 eggs layed this morning and they gave me a bike for my son! Almost brand new and still had the nubs on the tires. Good trade!

Back
Top Bottom