How many eggs do you get weekly? What do you do with the extra eggs?

When I started with 4 pullets, we ate what we could and gave the rest to friends and family. 6 years later I have many more chickens, with a wide variety of colored eggs. I get 10-12 dozen/ week during the heavy laying months. The same people that I used to give them to were more than happy to buy them for $3/dozen. They sell faster than I can collect them. I'm not making any money, but it helps pay for the feed
thumbsup.gif

I bake. Today I made this cake.

Easy Angel Food Cake
(decadently better than box cake)

Combine and beat until soft peaks form:
2 C egg whites
3/4 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt
Sift together well:
1 C flour
3/4 C sugar

Fold sifted flour and sugar into eggs a little at a time. (If you have a mixer with an egg whisk you can use it to mix the flour in. Add the sifted flour and sugar a 1/3 at a time. Turn on the mixer for a few seconds on low speed with each addition to just barely mix in flour.)
Pour into angel food cake pan and run a knife through the batter to settle and remove large air bubbles.
Bake at 375 for 40 to 45 minutes.
Invert pan and allow to cool upside down.

Then with the egg yolks I made noodles. I substitute 2 egg yolks for each egg. I multiply the recipe by the number of egg yolks I have left over from the cake. Today I ended up using 9 cups of flour. I will let them dry a bit and then place them in plastic bags in the freezer. They make amazing chicken noodle soup and fettuccine.
----------------------------------------------------
Amish Egg Noodles
1 Cup flour
1 egg (or 2 egg yolks)
1 Tbs oil
3 Tbs water

Knead dough for 5 minutes. Allow dough to rest
45 minutes.
Roll out to 1/4” thick.
Allow to dry. Cut into thin strips and dry some more.
--------------------------------------------------
If I am pressed for time and don't want to make noodle this egg custard is great. Again just figure 2 egg yolks per egg.

Quick Egg Custard

• 12 eggs
    • 4 cups of milk
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract.
    • Beat ingredients.
      Strain and pour into baking dish.
      Place baking dish in a roasting pan and fill pan 3/4 full with water.
      Bake at 350 for 45min-1hour.
    • This makes a big batch. It could be cut in half for a smaller portion.

Last edited:
I get in between 10-17 eggs a day from our 17 hens, but having 4 other siblings (and my parents) we eat a lot of eggs for breakfast. At the moment we have 5 dozen eggs in our fridge, we sometimes make a lot of eggs salad or deviled eggs.We also give them to friends as a "thank you" if they did us a favor.

Mine are guinea eggs, and I get about 42 eggs a week. They laid 10 eggs yesterday! I frees mine for use this winter. I have 9 doz in the fridge. After August 1 I did not set anymore. I have sold over 300 guineas, and I still have over 100 left to sell! My 35 little guineas sure are prolific! Besides that they eat all the bugs and leave the plants alone!

I have 27 hens and 3 roos I collect between 14 and 20 a day I sell a few dozen and always give my oldest son who's 22 and has 3 roommates 6 dozen a month so I know they are eating at least something good for them.

I have 11 hens I was getting 8-11 eggs a day but molting has started here and I am down to 6 eggs a day right now that would give me 35 weekly. I keep an 18 pack of eggs for us at all times and the rest I give to my family or my husband takes them to work and sells them. I sell enough of them to pay for their feed. I have donated some in the past to the local soup kitchen. I had so many eggs and no one needed any so I donated them. They were very happy to get them. And when I left there I felt very good.
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom