How many eggs do you get weekly? What do you do with the extra eggs?

I get about fifty per week from my 12 hens. I give the extras away....mostly to my adult children. But I also take them to church...The church leaders almost always know someone who could use some eggs!

They take the donations when I went by and asked they said they would. Right now I have four hens and they are making just enough for my family of four. I want to get two more hens this next spring I am just stuck on what breed. I want one that is fun and different but makes a good amount of eggs. I was thinking frizzle polish or simple and an Orpington

Is it legal to donate to the food banks? Or does it range area to area??

Laws vary by location on what you can and can't do with 'unlicensed' home grown eggs... There are 'goodwill' laws that should prevent you from being sued for your food donation, but that doesn't negate any criminal violations you might do by giving them away... Many locations laws require that you to sell or give them away on the property they were laid on, so you can't technically delivery them or sell at another location although this is rarely enforced... Albeit chances are slim any legal action would ever happen beyond someone saying "stop donating"...

I scramble (shells and all) and bake all my extras and then feed them back to the chickens...

Last edited:
I'm very pleased with the breeds I chose. 2 buff orpingtons (sweet, friendly, great egg layers) 2 RIR (friendly, a bit more bossy), 2 Australorpes (fairly standoffish, but great layers, the bosses of the run, 2 Barred rocks (friendly on par with the BO, great layers) 2 Wyendottes (friendly I have one bossy and one that is the lowest ranking of all. 1 Golden Sexlink- Very friendly and the largest eggs in the group. 1 Americana/Easteregger which gives us the loveliest green eggs!

Next on my wish list is some more Americanas/Easter Eggers. Some Cuckoo Marans for their chocolate eggs. Olive Egger because I'm obsessed with having a colorful egg basket!

That does sound like a fun bunch of hens!

We eat around 15 a week we all love eggs!

I think orpington is what would make sense for my flock

I have a new coop in the making and can add around 4 more so I will have to choose what I want by this spring!

I get around 4-5 eggs per day, thats around 30 eggs a week, but thats also from 15 hens!!
th.gif
at one time this summer I got 13 eggs in ONE DAY. no excuses!! LOL

I'm very pleased with the breeds I chose. 2 buff orpingtons (sweet, friendly, great egg layers) 2 RIR (friendly, a bit more bossy), 2 Australorpes (fairly standoffish, but great layers, the bosses of the run, 2 Barred rocks (friendly on par with the BO, great layers) 2 Wyendottes (friendly I have one bossy and one that is the lowest ranking of all. 1 Golden Sexlink- Very friendly and the largest eggs in the group. 1 Americana/Easteregger which gives us the loveliest green eggs!

Next on my wish list is some more Americanas/Easter Eggers. Some Cuckoo Marans for their chocolate eggs. Olive Egger because I'm obsessed with having a colorful egg basket!
If you want chocolate eggs, go with black copper marans. Cuckoo eggs are known for being much lighter. My cuckoo's eggs are just a shade or two darker than the barred rocks, so I had to buy black coppers to get the really dark eggs

Laws vary by location on what you can and can't do with 'unlicensed' home grown eggs... There are 'goodwill' laws that should prevent you from being sued for your food donation, but that doesn't negate any criminal violations you might do by giving them away... Many locations laws require that you to sell or give them away on the property they were laid on, so you can't technically delivery them or sell at another location although this is rarely enforced... Albeit chances are slim any legal action would ever happen beyond someone saying "stop donating"...

I scramble (shells and all) and bake all my extras and then feed them back to the chickens...

Back
Top Bottom