how many friends for chick?

chickland

In the Brooder
Jun 18, 2018
CA
I have a lonely one week old chick. Should I buy one or two other chicks to keep it company? They would all be the same age. If I buy two chicks that have already spent their first week together, would my chick integrate well with them? Or should I just get one so they both have to start their friendship from scratch?

:welcome

Your chick is still quite young.

Even if you got 3 day old chicks things would work out.

One week olds are pretty accepting of newcomers. If you can find one week olds that would work well.

I have added 4 day olds to 3 week olds with only a little pecking.

A small age difference is usually ok.

I was going to say I have added 1 day old with 3 week Olds and they pecked only because the RIR have a red dot on the beak as chicks... other then that all went well.

Chickens are social creatures and do prefer friends. I have 23.. so they each have 22 other buddys :D

I think either would work although often places will not sell a single chick as they need friends (as you know or you wouldn't be asking). I would probably do two new ones for a trio but I have done a single chick added to make a pair. Do what you want, the chick will do fine with either. When I do that I also tend to pick them all up together in my hand, rearrange or turn out the lights for a minute and that seems to be just enough to confuse them for a minute as to who is who. They then seem to be like they were always together.

I have a lonely one week old chick. Should I buy one or two other chicks to keep it company? They would all be the same age. If I buy two chicks that have already spent their first week together, would my chick integrate well with them? Or should I just get one so they both have to start their friendship from scratch?
:welcome

thanks everyone :)
I got 2 new chicks.
They are getting along now. At first my original chick was pecking the newcomers, which was the opposite of what I thought would happen.
chicks.JPG

Back
Top Bottom