How messy are doves and pigeons?

Quails1

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2015
How messy are they compared to chickens and ducks? We know that ducks are messier than chickens, but what about doves/pigeons? Are they messier or cleaner than ducks and chickens? And what's the mess like? I've never had pigeons or doves before, and I'm curious.

Thanks in advance!

Pigeons are much cleaner than ducks and chickens. They aren't really messy except if they are on full feed, then they can make a little mess.
I've heard of that doves and pigeons poop a lot. Is this true? Ducks poop a lot for sure!

I've heard of that doves and pigeons poop a lot. Is this true? Ducks poop a lot for sure!
One thing a lot of people don't seem to realize is that pigeons can't poop any more than they eat, just like any other bird.
smile.png

Pigeons poop just as much as they eat.
I see. I doubt whether I want doves/pigeons considering the development of the young is altricial in these birds, while game birds, waterfowl, and ratites develop precocial.

Personally I find this trait makes pigeons that more endearing (which only last less than 30 days).
I, on the contrary, see this trait as a drawback since their altricial development means they're helpless after birth. They're immobile and will need to be fed regularly every day with a highly specialized formula due to their inability to eat on their own, which I've never done before! Precocial birds are much easier for me because they're mobile and can already feed on their own without having to be fed after hatching.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom