How much coop space for ducks?

I have heard that ducks are very cold tolerant! People say that ducks will go outside in winter and will stay out in very cold weather.

It depends on the duck...Muscovies don't have the amazing vascular system in the legs that other mallad-developed domestic breeds do. Worse, they DO share the same trait with mallards in that they don't have a lot of nerve endings in the legs and feet, so they'll walk out on the ice and snow and not realize they're freezing. Because of that they are prone to frostbite. If you have cold winters, just provide a heat lamp and don't let them out on the coldest days.

BUT if you don't plan on having Muscovies, then...nevermind. :p

I can't wait to see your ducks!

I've been wondering this as well.....

I've had chickens for about 4 or 5 years and
recently added some ducks... (30+ chickens
and a few roos and 8 ducklettes 4-12 weeks old)

right now, they are each in their own coops/
runs but I'm in the process of combining and
enlarging the area

the plan was to build a "dog house" type coop -
raised with chicken wire about the bottom...

the dog house would be just for sleeping so,
do the ducks really need 4-6' each?

right now, they are cramped together inside
of a little chicken coop that was designed to
house 2 or 3 (maximum) chickens.... some
of the ducks go up a ramp and others all cram
together down below...

they will have the run of the run during the day,
whenever they are not at the pond

thank you for your help ;)
Karen

I'm new to this chicken duck thing.We got 14 hens and four ducks 2 Peking and 2 black Swedish. We had a 5x7 coup built.We installed a pull-it shut auto chicken door (greatest thing ever) we raised the ducks as if they were chickens and so far so good. Ducks on the floor and chickens on the roots.The square foot requirements don't hold true for chickens.We could fit another 10 hens if we wanted and they would be fine. The only issue is that the nest boxes must be raised so the ducks do not sleep/mess in the boxes.We just started getting eggs yesterday 2 duck 1 chicken.After five months everything has gone smoothly.The duckchickens took longer to go in the coup one their own than the chickenchickens.Th other side effect is that it took the duckchickens four months before they would swim in the pond.

Must say we truly enjoy all of our chickens...

Btw,they free range all day....

Jay

Our ducks took longer to convince that it's bedtime too. Every night they will let the chickens go in and they will lay just outside the gate until it's almost pitch black. Sassies.

if you want your ducks to go anywhere you can use frozen peas defrosted, they will just about go anywhere for them so if them staying outside is an issue you will be able to convince them to go inside using the peas,

They truly are little food snobs. Half the things I throw out there they pick up, drop, and continue to quack at me. They're my early risers so I thought I'd be nice and give them snacks they don't have to share with the chickens, but they have other ideas.

Ha ha yeah a lot of mornings I bring down some peas with me, if I don't I get given out to, they are very funny,

Hi everyone. I am new to Ducks. I have three nine week old Peking ducklings. The outside pen which is connected to the coop is 12 feet by 8 feet inside of that I have one of those baby pools which takes up some space. This is connected to a shed that is probably 8 feet by 5 feet. In the back wall of that shed is a dog house which I thought would be a nesting box for them. Is this too small all of this for 3 Peking ducks?

Back
Top Bottom