how much do you charge for your eggs?

sloper74

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
I was selling our excess eggs at $2/dozen last season and I wonder if I couldn't get $3. We're not into the chickens to make a huge profit just cover the cost of feeding them. And I know the term "free-range" can be loosely applied these days. Our chickens get a small amount of layer pellets once/day and range for the rest of the day.

What do the rest of you charge for a dozen?

Hi , Sloper, I think it depends on y our area. I get $1.50 a dozen. I tried raising it to $2, but people here wouldn't pay that. Now I have a friend who gets $3.50 or $4 for them in the city.
What I am saying is that you can only charge what people will pay. Try raising it a bit at a time, or just put the eggs at $3 and see what happens. You can always lower it, or maybe try $3 a dozen or "2 for $5". That way your customers get a "bargain" option!

I agree-the customers drive the market. I have been selling mine for $1.25/doz. They charge $1.50 at the Farmer's market. I am going to have to make the bold move to raise mine to $1.50/doz this year because the feed costs have gone way up.

Thanks ladies. We live about 40 minutes from town and I was delivering eggs last year after we went to town on Sundays. It helped but I was only charging $2/dozen. I think since I'm delivering them to their houses every week, that I could probably get away with $3/dozen, for their convenience and all. I would still charge $2 at Farmers Market. I like the 2 for $5 idea too. Thanks for your input.

I'm so glad this thread was started! For the past 3 days I've been thinking, "I've got to start the first 'How much for eggs' thread."

I brought some eggs into work and gave 6 to each of my co-workers. Not trying to sell them or anything, just giving them away. One of them came back saying he wants to buy about a dozen a week. I have no idea what to charge but was thinking about $3.00 since we're in a big city without a lot of competition, also, the convenience for him and me is really nice since we see each other every day.

I also do bargaining. I give eggs to my neighbors who put up with my hens and also exchange a carton of eggs for a bunch of empty cartons.

Selling eggs for me usually isn't that productive since washing / packaging / setting up time for pick up and delivery all add up to a bunch of time.

You should easily get $3 a dozen, Rob, since organic eggs sell for $3.79 to $4.79 a dozen in Safeway here.
I told you that you needed a duck.... last year my DD sold duck eggs to folks who work with her friend's mother at Symantec. She got $12 a dozen!! Yup, that is $1 per egg! They really really wanted fresh home grown duck eggs and were willing to pay top dollar for them. She sold 82 eggs in one trip. Then we sent our ducks to summer camp at Rae's and they have been busy hatching hatching hatching ever since. I keep telling her "if you dont want any more ducklings.... you have to take their eggs away" LOL. If you need a duck.... call Rae.

chel

Oh my gosh $12 a doz! And for duck eggs do they eat them like chicken's. I didn't know that....

I can sell all the fresh eggs I can get to an organic meat supply here and she will give me $2 and supply me with cartons. I was told if put up a sign in my yard I should be able to get $3-4 a doz. and here I was thinking $1.5 Atleast this shuld help with the feed and some spending money..I am rural too....

When I first started selling my eggs I was getting $1.00 a doz. then I went to $1.50 the next year and now am up to $2.00. I might raise to $2.50 this year. If they decide to start laying again. LOL

Chel... you and I should continue our discussion on duck eggs. I'll give you a call during my commute / treck home next week!
wink.png

Wow! $12 for duck eggs!
I get $3 a dozen and they are laying better then the hens right now! Nothing better than a duck egg over medium sopped up with buttered sourdough toast. Yummm.

I get a dollar each from the goose eggs. That is when they are laying, which they aren't, depite over running me with eggs last winter and eating their heads off, scarfing me out of house and Cheerios......ahem anyway.......
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom