How much do you pay for feed??

Pics
Seems awesome, right? But 20% off a 30% empty bag isn't a deal, is it?
The price per pound stays the same at my feed store. It sounds like it gets worse at yours.
Ya. One of the reasons I don't buy feed there. They do it with all feed so they usually always have at least some dog food on the sale pallet.
The last time I was even close to it I heard a young employee telling a customer..... ya it wasn't rats getting into it. Made me do the ol 🤨

Ya. One of the reasons I don't buy feed there. They do it with all feed so they usually always have at least some dog food on the sale pallet.
The last time I was even close to it I heard a young employee telling a customer..... ya it wasn't rats getting into it. Made me do the ol 🤨

Haha. I always thought they were dropped / snagged when unloading from the truck, our store has a whole small display for the various animal feeds in broken bags. But maybe it's done on purpose to move feed on slow days, or something.
Your store would hate me because I wouldn't be taking their "lightly emptied" full price bags, I like to dig to the bottom for the freshest bags anyway (and put the rest back neatly). My mom hates shopping with me 😅

"Which one is better?" (holding two identical packs of toilet paper)

I pay $20 per 50lb bag of feed but since I work at my local Wilco, it's a tiny discounted price as the customer price is $23.99.
I also buy any damaged(torn) bags of flock raiser whenever I can as we sell those at damage price.
Plus, I free range my flock so they don't eat as much but I only free range as our dogs help keep our flock safe from predators.

I have been paying $26.99 for flock raiser at TSC and they eat so much feed it gets expensive. Is this alot for feed? How much do you pay?
TIA!
I’m in the state of Georgia and just moved from CA, just to add a little context and our prices at TSC, True Value, Ace Hardware and even Petco(when they carry chicken supplies which isn’t very often) are all roughly 25$-30$. However, we have a local feed/tack/gardening mom and pop type farm supply and they are almost half the price. I’m able to get the medicated chick feed 50lbs for 16$ and the regular complete laying mix is 18$ for 55lbs. It very much worth “going out of my way” or making a special trip for that much savings. I have ten hens, well nine, I have one disabled barred rich that is a house chicken now and eats the chick food so I don’t count her lol. But nine healthy laying hen in a 20x20 fenced in area of which I’ll attach pics and I buy one back of feed a month-ish, depending on weather, time of year and all that other good stuff! We also have a couple of local farmers who have corn fields that are for swine feed only and they will sell the bags of scratch for 15$ and they are 50lb bags and they last like three months for me because I only give them 16oz a day. Then they get the healthy food and the treat without compromising safety!

Attachments

• 41E76230-D616-458F-B113-BD4F5DD09350.jpeg
    41E76230-D616-458F-B113-BD4F5DD09350.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 4
  • F11400D1-26C4-4ED3-B551-FD7E6150AE85.jpeg
    F11400D1-26C4-4ED3-B551-FD7E6150AE85.jpeg
    890.1 KB · Views: 5
I’m in the state of Georgia and just moved from CA, just to add a little context and our prices at TSC, True Value, Ace Hardware and even Petco(when they carry chicken supplies which isn’t very often) are all roughly 25$-30$. However, we have a local feed/tack/gardening mom and pop type farm supply and they are almost half the price. I’m able to get the medicated chick feed 50lbs for 16$ and the regular complete laying mix is 18$ for 55lbs. It very much worth “going out of my way” or making a special trip for that much savings. I have ten hens, well nine, I have one disabled barred rich that is a house chicken now and eats the chick food so I don’t count her lol. But nine healthy laying hen in a 20x20 fenced in area of which I’ll attach pics and I buy one back of feed a month-ish, depending on weather, time of year and all that other good stuff! We also have a couple of local farmers who have corn fields that are for swine feed only and they will sell the bags of scratch for 15$ and they are 50lb bags and they last like three months for me because I only give them 16oz a day. Then they get the healthy food and the treat without compromising safety!
Beautiful flock! Thanks for the info!

I’m in central Virginia and we drive to a place called Lazy Creek Farm in Madison. They sell 50 lb bags for $15 each. The girls love it and have been laying well on it for several years now. It’s a long drive but it’s pretty and definitely worth it for the money. The bags are also reusable so you can bring old ones back to the farm when getting more feed.

Back
Top Bottom