How much do you think it would cost to build a 10' x 10' chicken coop?

bluehillfarm

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 12, 2012
Middle TN
So I have been do my research and I think layers need 2-4 square ft. per bird is that right? How many square ft. do you have per bird in your coop? I am planning on getting 20 layers
I think I have a coop design I would like to build https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-chicken-garden-coop I LOVE this design but it is too big for the amount of chickens I want so, I want to cut it down to a 10' x10' is it possible to go by this plan and just cut out the storage part of it? or should I draw out an other plan similar? Also is a 10' x 10' big enough for 20 hens or is it too big? how many layers can fit in a 10' x 10' ? One more question LOL how much do you think it would cost to build a 10' x10' coop similar to the one is the picture? Sorry for all the questions just curious...Thanks :)

go to loews or menards, price out 2x4s, 4x4s, in 8ft and 10 foot lengths... Also ask if they have any shed kits that may be damaged and you may get lucky and get a $1000 shed for a few 100... Might need to to a little to the damaged parts... But hey... Others wise I'd say 500 or so if you do all the building and look for the best deals. I built an 8x4 coop for just under 200.

That would be 100sq ft so you could have at least 25-30 so I don't think its too big, i have an 8x16 with 48 chickens and they are all doing great!!
the cost??? I had mine built by a contractor as he was here building a barn for us , it's on skids , insulated,1 window and door, very nice and I lost track of the cost, I actually didn't want to know lol
Good Luck
Ayda

I bought my dog kennel panels used from a CL ad. I think we paid $100 for 6, 10'x6' panels and two have doors.
thumbsup.gif
They're the heavy chain link style -- they weigh a ton -- but it makes for a nice run.

Last edited:
I always recommend to build the biggest that you can afford.

I've got a new 8X8 coop and it cost just under $1,000. It's good and sturdy, but cost of windows and foundation aren't included in that total because I already had them.

My coop was built so that it could be converted to a garden storage shed that can't be broken into easily.. It is also built so that it can be lifted up with a fork lift and placed onto a flat bed and moved. Snow load can be heavy, so it's got a sturdy roof with trusses and metal truss plates. That added to the cost. It was over $100 for the truss plates.

Also, the coop matches the house. You can build a lot cheaper if you don't care what your yard looks like.

One last recommendation" make it tall enough so you can stand up inside it.

we just bought a 8x8 shed from Menards all the wood is pre-cut , all hardware , with shingles $820 with it being delivered to the house, so it looks like my sunday is going to be busy

ANYTHING you see being tossed that is free helps a lot!!! and the chickens won't mind if it is used!! Plywood, crate wood, metal can be found at the dumpster at many businesses. Try home a/c companies for sheet metal, most ac units shipped in wooden based crates. Home remodeling businesses, handymen, construction sites!!! Just ask all they can do is say NO. I just got an exterior door and 3 windows free by asking around!!! That is worth a chunk of change!!
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom