How much do you think it would cost to build a 10' x 10' chicken coop?

I always recommend to build the biggest that you can afford.

I've got a new 8X8 coop and it cost just under $1,000. It's good and sturdy, but cost of windows and foundation aren't included in that total because I already had them.

My coop was built so that it could be converted to a garden storage shed that can't be broken into easily.. It is also built so that it can be lifted up with a fork lift and placed onto a flat bed and moved. Snow load can be heavy, so it's got a sturdy roof with trusses and metal truss plates. That added to the cost. It was over $100 for the truss plates.

Also, the coop matches the house. You can build a lot cheaper if you don't care what your yard looks like.

One last recommendation" make it tall enough so you can stand up inside it.

we just bought a 8x8 shed from Menards all the wood is pre-cut , all hardware , with shingles $820 with it being delivered to the house, so it looks like my sunday is going to be busy

Here are some pics of my coop that houses 20-25 RIRs. It is 6x8 and they have plenty of room, they stay out most of the day. I still like a little work around the bottom to replace the cinder blocks, and a coat of paint this spring. Hardware cloth under the eaves allow excellent ventilation, without drafts on the chickens. The roost sit in notched 2x4s for easy removal and cleaning. I built this for less than $300, not counting the windows (I already had from a house I tore down) The brown coop beside it houses my BRs, it is propped open for cleaning in the pic. There there are two dog kennels connected to it for a 600 sq ft run. The BRs are divided from the RIRs.

man,thats way to high a price. course ,I am a bit of a tightwad. but I think if one was to hunt around you could build for about half that.

we just bought a 8x8 shed from Menards all the wood is pre-cut , all hardware , with shingles $820 with it being delivered to the house, so it looks like my sunday is going to be busy

Here are some pics of my coop that houses 20-25 RIRs. It is 6x8 and they have plenty of room, they stay out most of the day. I still like a little work around the bottom to replace the cinder blocks, and a coat of paint this spring. Hardware cloth under the eaves allow excellent ventilation, without drafts on the chickens. The roost sit in notched 2x4s for easy removal and cleaning. I built this for less than $300, not counting the windows (I already had from a house I tore down) The brown coop beside it houses my BRs, it is propped open for cleaning in the pic. There there are two dog kennels connected to it for a 600 sq ft run. The BRs are divided from the RIRs.

Thanks looks good and cheap too:)

ANYTHING you see being tossed that is free helps a lot!!! and the chickens won't mind if it is used!! Plywood, crate wood, metal can be found at the dumpster at many businesses. Try home a/c companies for sheet metal, most ac units shipped in wooden based crates. Home remodeling businesses, handymen, construction sites!!! Just ask all they can do is say NO. I just got an exterior door and 3 windows free by asking around!!! That is worth a chunk of change!!
wink.png

Last edited:
we dont have alot of extra material laying around and as for going around asking for supplies this area is HUGE into recycling they dont get off anything for a price $$$. We are looking into getting used fencing material for building their run.

Around here it runs me about 5.00 a sq.ft. now that is dirt floor, 2x4 walls, 2x6 joists, corrugated steel roof and walls.
So a 8x12 coop would run me right around 500.00 + windows and doors.

Chris

I am almost done building a 12x20 coop that has a dirt floor and wire apron around the base. I believe It cost me about $850-$900 for everything. I have bought everything to complete it I just cant find enough time to finish it. It is built like a pole barn and has Rolled Roofing. Still needs to be painted though. I don't have an updated picture but It has wire on the rafters on the outside to keep coons out and a 2x6 running on the front side of the rafters. I will ad more windows this spring I couldn't find any cheap one for sale on craigslist. This will house my free range RSL Flock of about 60 hens.

Nate

Back
Top Bottom