How much room do bantams need?

LF need 4 and 10 while if I remember correctly bantams require only 3 and 6....though ofcourse your birds wont complain if you give them more or even match the LF requirements
big_smile.png

Last edited:
And I've read that bantams require half of the 4sq/10sq. ft. rule as a minimum. But as drunkdog indicated, more space is ALWAYS preferred over the minimums...and can help avoid various problems that tight spaces can create.

Well I have 13 chickens in a 6 by 8 coop and I think im going to add 10 more chickens because ive heard that LF only need 1 square foot in the coop and 4 square feet in the run.

I have bantams, and I follow the same rule of thumb as for standards (4 square feet per bird indoors, plus 10 square feet per bird, outdoors). Even though bantams are physically smaller than the standard breeds, they're very lively and active ....mine are, anyway.

LF birds definitely need more than 1sq ft per bird in the coop! that's actually about as big as 1 LF chicken is, that would be very cruel to fill a coop by those standards. And 10sqft outside Per Bird (for LF) is a good rule of thumb, of course you can have less if you plan to let them free range in your yard though.

I don't mean to sound rude at all but really, mark out 1sqft and put one of your chickens in that spot. Most Standard nesting boxes are 1ft x 1ft so maybe you're getting those measurements mixed up?

Quote:

A lot of people keep smaller bantams (seramas, OEGB) in raised cages here. They keep 1 roo with 2-3 hens in a 3'x4' cage. So 3-4 sq ft per bird.

ETA: My tractors have 2'x3' coops with 6'x6' runs, each one has 4-7 birds in them right now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom