How much space do I require for a Appenzeller Spitzhauben?

2 cockerels with 4 pullets sounds like trouble. I have Spitzhaubens and they are no different than my other breeds in space requirements. They are slightly smaller, but not enough to make a difference regarding space. It is often very difficult to deal with 2 cockerels. (Of any breeds). I think that will be your challenge. You may have to decide between the
I’ve had Appenzellers for several years now and they are not much different from any of the other 10 breeds I’ve had. They are, if anything, a bit calmer and more mellow than any of the others.
I'm wondering, will they be able to breed Pekin Bantam pullets? I'm quite new to owning chickens and with the cockerel problem hopefully they get along and share as the age difference between them is quite significant.. if not then I'll have to rehome one... hopefully the 1hr of freeranging,seperating them at night and getting 2 gingernut pullets in the future solve the problem?

Yes, they can breed bantams. I have one bantam, a Sebright, and she has raised several batches of half Spitzhauben chicks.
okay I'll see how the cockerels go. Praying for the best with them as I don't want to give away either😅 also do you have any pics of the half Spitzhauben chicks? Curious to know how they look incase I have to rehome one of the cockerels..

I'm wondering, will they be able to breed Pekin Bantam pullets?
yes
I'm quite new to owning chickens and with the cockerel problem hopefully they get along and share as the age difference between them is quite significant.
it gets much less significant when the 2nd is getting his hormones
. if not then I'll have to rehome one... hopefully the 1hr of freeranging,seperating them at night and getting 2 gingernut pullets in the future solve the problem?
Unlikely. My multi male flocks all either are very, very docile breeds (silkies, with 3 brain cells between the two), were literally hatch mates, or have free range all day, every day with far more space than you have avaliable

The flocks that do not free range all have hens older than the male's that taught them to behave and have more than 6 hens in the pen

Back
Top Bottom