How much trouble is a single comb in winter?

I'll make the sane choice and get something rose comb or pea comb. Thanks for sharing your experiences. Looks like there are white chanteclers near me . . .

As I just now read through this thread, White Chanteclers came to mind. I, too, am drawn to the Dorking breed, but I can't get through a winter without losing tips (or more) of combs or having trouble with long wattles. Gotta love the tiny combs and wattles on White Chanteclers ... and Buckeyes.

As I just now read through this thread, White Chanteclers came to mind. I, too, am drawn to the Dorking breed, but I can't get through a winter without losing tips (or more) of combs or having trouble with long wattles. Gotta love the tiny combs and wattles on White Chanteclers ... and Buckeyes.

I really, really wanted the dorking. I just keep looking at the pictures of the roosters and envisioning trying to keep those combs thorugh the winter. If I can get my hands on some white dorkings (rose comb), that will be different. Barring that, I think white chanteclers it will be. I've been reading the chantecler thread and looking at Chantecler Fanciers International. Difficult breed to get a hold of, but not impossible. Not that much different than the dorkings. Cackle Hatchery is in their second year providing this flock and it looks like their foundation stock came from known and respected breeders, so they're probably a decent starting point if all else fails. They can't have deviated too much if they're only in their second year of offering.

Buckeyes made my short list, but I'd rather have white birds. Trying to breed for production AND type AND color might make me more batty than I already am. In my experience with other species, color is too subjective. I'm happier with complete absence of color.

I am in MN and raise Belgian d'Uccles. Last winter my largest too got just the tiniest bit of frostbite on one point of his single comb before I applied bag balm to everybody. I kept them cooped when the polar vortex hit, but once it was above zero they went out at their own choosing. The run last year was not protected from wind or snow at all, but this year it is which I think will help. But a little bag balm seemed to do the trick and stayed less messy than vaseline.

Mother Nature had decided to pull out all of the stops to make sure I know that SC would be a challenge. 18* as a high yesterday, today it's pouring freezing rain and gusting 35 mph. The Barred Rock girls are weathering it well, but pretty sure I saw some discoloration on a comb already. Just a little spot, but winter is just getting started. It's a losing battle to keep things dry in this mess and the temps drop very quickly. The girls insist on going out and end up wet. We're also getting the wattles dipped in water issue. Even the Muscovy ducks are looking miserable. The pea comb girls are doing better than the SC girls, keeping a close eye on the cockrel. He's got a muff, so bag balm is out of the question for those. He'd just get the slicked back hair look. :)

I did look at the Buckeye, but I have a strong preference for a white bird. White is easy to see, colors become subjective and I'm looking to eventually exhibit. The breeder that has me on his list for Chantecler chicks has a line that lays well with no supplemental heat or light. As the wattles are at least as much trouble as the combs, I'm really favoring the no head gear look.

And now I get to go knock about 1/2" of ice off of the coop again so I can refill the water. While it's pouring rain. And try to convince the muscovies to actually go into a shelter for the night before the temps drop again. Gotta love New Hampshire.

I agree with Pyxis about ventilation. While packing the chickens in close can make the air temp in the house warmer it also increases moisture in the air from exhalation. If there is not adequate ventilation to let out the moisture they are more susceptible to frostbite than if in a cooler drier house. That aside I have gone out with some aquaphor on my hands( to keep it soft) on the really cold nights a wiped a finger on their combs and never have had any frostbite.

Winter air can be very humid. I am in the hvac bussiness and a misconception that we use humidifiers in the winter is not because the outside air is dry, it is because your heating unit drys out the air. Unless you are heating you're coop it may be very humid. The wind is your biggest factor. Make sure your chickens have a place to get out of the wind. I use clear panels on my run so they have the roost that vents to the run, and the run that goes outside to their paddock. We have nightsin Wisconsin that drop pretty cold. Our girls do fine, even our leghorn and rocks. Keep a close eye on them and be proactive. If it is going to be below 0 I turn on a small heat tube for the roost. This vents to the run and takes the edge off the air in the run.

Winter air can be very humid. I am in the hvac bussiness and a misconception that we use humidifiers in the winter is not because the outside air is dry, it is because your heating unit drys out the air. Unless you are heating you're coop it may be very humid. The wind is your biggest factor. Make sure your chickens have a place to get out of the wind. I use clear panels on my run so they have the roost that vents to the run, and the run that goes outside to their paddock. We have nightsin Wisconsin that drop pretty cold. Our girls do fine, even our leghorn and rocks. Keep a close eye on them and be proactive. If it is going to be below 0 I turn on a small heat tube for the roost. This vents to the run and takes the edge off the air in the run.

Arkweld. What do you mean be a "small heat tube"?

I'm in MN and even my pea comb chickens got frostbite. The wattles fell off. Single comb chickens the tips of the comb got frostbite. But it's colder here.

Back
Top Bottom