How Necessary is a Ramp? Any Alternatives?

Pics

feathermaid

Egg Obsessed
5 Years
Feb 5, 2018
Northwest Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
I have a raised coop and currently have ramps up to the pop doors. My birds don't even use the full length, they just hop up halfway from the side or fly out when they leave, so it seems like a bit of wasted space in my narrow runs. I removed the ramp entirely once, but then they didn't know what to do. I think the pop opening is too small for them to comfortably fly into.

I know I've seen other ideas here... I just can't find them now.
Pictures would be much appreciated!

I have a raised coop and currently have ramps up to the pop doors. My birds don't even use the full length, they just hop up halfway from the side or fly out when they leave, so it seems like a bit of wasted space in my narrow runs. I removed the ramp entirely once, but then they didn't know what to do. I think the pop opening is too small for them to comfortably fly into.

I know I've seen other ideas here... I just can't find them now.
Pictures would be much appreciated!
Log steps work.;)

What if they have a landing pad on the outside of the coop even with the pop door, so they could hop up onto it, have plenty of room to get their balance, then just walk in through the door? Just a little balcony for them.
:thumbsup
I agree on the landing pad, I would recommend making it big enough for a couple birds because sometimes they just hangout in the doorway blocking it.

I'd like to get rid of the ramp to make room for a large bucket feeder without blocking access to underneath the coop. I'm just not sure if I want chickens jumping directly on top the actual bucket...
so covering it with a platform attached to the coop might me the way to go!

Just need to figure out how to attach it. Maybe shelf brackets?

I'd like to get rid of the ramp to make room for a large bucket feeder without blocking access to underneath the coop. I'm just not sure if I want chickens jumping directly on top the actual bucket...
so covering it with a platform attached to the coop might me the way to go!

Shelf brackets would work. Even a 2x4 running along the wall of the coop would probably support a plywood shelf well enough. Chickens don't weigh too much.

I don't do ramps, they take up too much horizontal space and chickens don't seem to love them. Instead, I do steps:
coopnew2.jpg

Maybe post some pics of what you have now?

I made a 'landing pad' I call it the 'porch'...
....it's inside the 'foyer'(to block wicked west wind).
Ramp is fully used by some and jumps halfway by others.

Here's how it's installed, pic taken while I was building the 'under run'.

I made a 'landing pad' I call it the 'porch'...
....it's inside the 'foyer'(to block wicked west wind).
Ramp is fully used by some and jumps halfway by others.

Here's how it's installed, pic taken while I was building the 'under run'.

That seems like exactly what I want to do!
Only I want to eliminate the ramp entirely. My coop is lower than yours so hoping the jump won't be too tiresome for the birds over time. I see a cinder block at the base of your ramp, so that might work as a perfect step up.

My current setup (saggy ramps)
IMG_0555.JPG IMG_0556.JPG IMG_0559.JPG

This is what I'm thinking for both sides:
ramp-redo1.png

I want to make one of those 5 gal. no waste feeders (terrible drawing) and one more bucket-nipple waterer.
But if I put a cinder block step in front, it'll block one of the feeder openings.
Maybe could do without the step? Or a feeder opening?
Or re-attach the ramp like you did... but that would make an awkward triangle space...
maybe I'm overthinking!

** side topic!**
How are you posting your pics?
Curious because when most people upload from their device (including me) and someone quotes the post, the pic doesn't show up in the quote box like yours does. It looks like this: View attachment 1846933 darn "attach" words!

Back
Top Bottom