How often do you visit your chickens?

spacecowgirl

Songster
8 Years
Jul 30, 2011
I was just wondering how often, per day, do you visit your chickens...not including letting them out or putting them up at night.

I check on them, on average, 3 or 4 times per day, to give them treats or just to say "hi"...but I'm a stay at home mom and just newly bitten by the chicken bug, so I just can't get enough!
love.gif
That also doesn't count the couple of times a day my oldest hen, Brownie, escapes from her (six foot high) fence, and comes up to hang out with me on the deck!!
yippiechickie.gif

Really, if you add them all up, I visit with my chickens six or seven times a day! Is this normal? Or am I the only one???

Mine are still in the brooder. They are my very first chickens so I would say about 50 times.
jumpy.gif
. I visit my two rabbits outside about 3 times a day and will stop and sit to watch them munch on their greens or hay at least once a day.
bun.gif
bun.gif

Nope! I'm right there with you. We even have chairs set up near the coops so when the weather cooperates we just hang and chill outside and watch their silliness!

Not including opening and closing, maybe at least 10 times a day, some days more. My chickens are my therapy birds, I go see them when I need a break or just to say hi. They see me coming and I have the whole flock at my feet even when I don't have treats for them.

On the weekends, I spend at least 4 hours each morning, and some in the evening sitting in the run "reading". I usually spend most of my time just watching them. Especially since I have 3, 2 week old chicks being taught the ropes by mamma's. Too darn cute
love.gif
On the weeknights, if I have time (like I did tonight) I go out there for a while and "read". We have chairs and a hammock in there to keep away from the dogs who are anything but relaxing. Just have to look before sitting
lol.png

Since I have a day job I can't visit with them except when I'm home in the evening, so we let them out for their evening 'free range' time. On weekends they spend a lot of time free ranging in the yard.

If I were retired I'd visit them a lot more. They're quite fun to be around and to observe.

I check on them so much They come running every time they see me lol. Either the kids or I are out there with them constantly. We give them treats off and on through out the day, then they hit under the hedge for a nice rest, then they forage all over the lawn, then they are back to letting me know it's treat time lol. I love my girls there constantly being watched. But towards evening they tend to wander closer and closer to the coop and slowly into the coop for the night, we then say good night, close everything up and that's that.

Back
Top Bottom