How often do you visit your chickens?

Oh yes, several times. (I work from home so I can keep an eye on them while I'm working.) I change their water because it's so darned hot. And I have big bags of crushed ice in the freezer, so I put ice in their waterers, too and toss some on the ground. And my Sultans like a dish of water in their elevated coop because they spend more time inside. And yes, then later there's treats, and some frozen water bottles to keep them cool and some mist from the garden hose and make sure everybody is still in the shade, pick up eggs - not many of those right now! Find out who wants a hug. Later let them out to play in the yard for awhile before bed if we can, and they will be expecting (demanding) mealworms. And we sit outside and watch ours, too (when it's not too hot to breathe). We call it "watching chicken TV".

deb g

I feel validated now after reading this thread! I spend as much time as possible every day with my peeps. As others have said, they're better therapy than a high priced shrink and more relaxing than meditation.

I tend to the chickens about 3 times a day. I make sure in the morning that everyone is well, and that they all have food and water. I clean up any dog poop in the yard before i let them out to free range in the yard. As hot as it is now, here in Dallas/Ft.Worth we don't spend as much time with the chickens as usual. We have a sitting area in front of the coop, and we greatly enjoy letting them out to free range. We let them out on an average of 4 times a week. We love to sit out with them. We provide misters, shade and frozen containers of water to help them cope with the heat.

When they were still spending most of their time in the garage I was in there checking on them and talking to them, adjusting the amount of sun coming in through the garage door etc. multiple times during the day. This past weekend I moved them outside to their new coop and run, so of course I need to check on them several times during the day (other than the letting out and the closing up the coop for the evening). When I know I will be away from the house for an extended period of time (say more than 4 hours) I alert my mom, who lives next door and she is sure to come over and visit and check on them. I think I'm being over protective but they seem to enjoy the company and I sure enjoy watching them, so I figure no harm is done. (as long as I'm not shirking my other responsibilities
hmm.png

It will be interesting to see what happens when we have 2 feet of snow and sub zero temperatures.

at least 3 to 4 times I clean the coops everyday, and when its hot I spray the concrete down plus I have a long bench in the coop so we can sit and watch them, my daughter just loves them and I know they love her they love there visits

Quite a few times, lol. They get briefly checked on the roost once between 2-4am then in the morning on the way out to leave, then visited at least 4x during the day (usually more like 7, lol), then at evening feeding time, then after they roost at dark, then 1-2x before I go to bed, lol. The eggs are usually collected several times a day and their waters changed, treat times, damping down their cool spot, etc., guess it all adds up, lol. I knew a lot of time was spent with them but never before really thought about how often they have company...I guess pretty much all the time with little breaks between, lol. Where they're at makes it easy access to do so just coming and going, though. If they were out in the north 40, it'd probably be 2-3x a day (not that there is a north 40 at this property, more like a north 40 feet
tongue.png
).

Last edited:
Just about once an hour
roll.png
I'm going to go broke working from home lol. I can't seem to get anything done, I keep going outside for a little sit down with the girls. Thought I lost one today, until I came back in the house and found her sitting on the back of my sofa. Guess I didn't shut the door all the way lol.

quite a bit, as I am still working on outside fencing for them, I am looking forward to sitting down with a cup of tea and cake, and watching their antics soon, rather than diving for them during their many daring escapes
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom