How old are turkey when they start laying

Tambugs

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2023
I have read male turkey become sexually mature at 1 and female 2 years, but I have a turkey don't know which one it is laying eggs. They are not even a year old yet, this April they will be.

Turkeys are sexually mature by the time they are 6 months old. Because they are seasonal layers they don't normally start laying until the spring of the year following the year they were hatched.

Broad Breasted White turkeys have been developed to the point that they pretty much lay year round. There have been many reports of BBW hens starting to lay at 5 months old.

Really what kind of turkey do you have? I'm now trying to figure out which one of the 3 laid the eggs. I think you for info.
It was a long time ago. She was a red bronze. I haven’t had any others lay early since.

To figure it out, you will have to watch closely and see which one of them goes off by herself. I have noticed that when a hen is starting to lay for the first time she walks around crying a lot. As if she is searching for something she doesn’t know what, and isn’t satisfied with what she’s finding. After a day or two of that, I will find an egg. It sounds like your hen is past that stage if she has already laid multiple eggs. Keep an eye on the spot where you find the eggs. You should eventually see the hen laying there.

It was a long time ago. She was a red bronze. I haven’t had any others lay early since.

To figure it out, you will have to watch closely and see which one of them goes off by herself. I have noticed that when a hen is starting to lay for the first time she walks around crying a lot. As if she is searching for something she doesn’t know what, and isn’t satisfied with what she’s finding. After a day or two of that, I will find an egg. It sounds like your hen is past that stage if she has already laid multiple eggs. Keep an eye on the spot where you find the eggs. You should eventually see the hen laying there.
I found an egg the other day under our berry bush behind what we use to keep our ducks in at night. So it was like oh this looks like a good spot, I have laid one in my bed, next to my water way not here she says. I was taking back when I found this perfect egg we will be putting it in the brooder.

Went out this morning to release my turkeys out of their bed and I always look now to see if any of the girls have laid an egg and this what I found and no it's no hard and it has not harden almost 3 hours later.

Attachments

• PXL_20230905_141340748.jpg
    PXL_20230905_141340748.jpg
    741.1 KB · Views: 27
When do turkeys start laying eggs? Can they lay nonfertile eggs like chickens do? This would be my first time having a hen and she is getting aggressive but I found her laying on a nest of chicken eggs and she allowed me to come pet her and get the chicken eggs from under her.

Welcome to BYC!

When do turkeys start laying eggs?
👇
Turkeys are sexually mature by the time they are 6 months old. Because they are seasonal layers they don't normally start laying until the spring of the year following the year they were hatched.

Can they lay nonfertile eggs like chickens do?
Yes.

his would be my first time having a hen and she is getting aggressive but I found her laying on a nest of chicken eggs and she allowed me to come pet her and get the chicken eggs from under her.
I bet she'll start laying very soon.

Back
Top Bottom