how soon can you sex ducks

nosduj

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
i have an indian runner and a magpie that are both about 5 weeks old how can i tell if there male or female

I have French Rouen Ducks and with them you can tell by the color of their bills, but also the females are the louder talkers they actually quack, the males sound kinda horse or raspy they are not as loud. You maybe able to tell by their voices. I don't know about Indian Runners or Magpies. Sorry I prob not much help But good luck with your Ducks, I sure Love mine.

big_smile.png
Karan

Vent sex them!
You can tell at one day old if you have a good eye for it.
If not by now you can tell easily.
Here's how to do it, it may take a little practice, but you'll get the hang of it.

1) pick them up and turn them over on their backs.
2) gently spread the feathers and fuzz off their vent, (poop area)
3) arch the tail forward toward its head with your fingers, while gently opening the vent with your thumbs and index fingers.
(I promise this isnt a nasty as it sounds)
4) Now look at the opening, if its a girl, there will be nothing there, however if you have a boy, a tiny little worm looking version of a penis will pop out, usually black or red in color, but not always.

After a time or two, it gets to be second nature and you can do it with ease. If you have girls to start, you may think you are doing it wrong, but once you get a boy, you'll know for sure you did it right.
Good luck,
voice and bill color also works, but it take way more time for the bird to mature for you to tell this way.
Aubrey

how old do they have to be to vent sex them and also im not trying to be gross but how much do you have to open their anuses to be able to tell

To answer both questions, yes it works with all waterfowl, ducks, geese, swans...
They can be done at hatch time, but it takes a very trained eye to see the little thing then, after a few weeks it'll be much easier, especially when the first feathers start to come in.
As far as opening her up!, LOL
Just a slight opening, you are really more less just kind of spreading it open, the bending back of the tail towards the head does most of it for you, you use your fingers more to just get the feathers and fuzz out of the way so you can see. If it's in there, it'll pop out fairly easily.
Hope this helped.
Aubrey

do you bend the tail back yo the back of the ducks head or do you bend it towards the beek

Quote:
oh Lord no, not that far, just a 90 degree angle to the back will work, if they were standing upright, it would be sticking straight up in the air.

and no problem Jim, if you need any more tips on it, I will be glad to go into full detail for you on it.

Back
Top Bottom