How tall do Silkies get?

2mnypets

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 11, 2007
Saucier, Mississippi
I know that the males get around 36oz. and the hens get around 32oz. but how tall do Silkies get? I know they are bantams, but was hoping someone could tell me roughly how tall they are, and how to introduce bantams to standards. I have 39 chickens that are almost full grown and the introduction of the 24 to the 15 went off without a hitch. I had them separated by a fence in their brooder box and then in their separate coops(with the same fencing) that were built side by side for 2 1/2 months. I've got 12 baby chicks that I picked up today from the post office. More are to be delivered on the 26th of this month. Since I've always had standards I wasn't sure if there was something else I should be doing to help facilitate a non-threatening introduction when that time comes. I was just thinking and wondering if the chickens really know if there is a size difference.

Well, my silkie roo is about 14" tall to the top of his head...but my pullet is about 8" tall. I seriously think she's a runt! I raised my standards and bantams together, so introduction wasn't a problem; although the girls occasionally pick on the roo. I also have tried introducing the pullet to some 9 week BR pullets--but they all picked on her. She's very sedate.
roll.png

My silkie girl is tiny! I've also seen show quality silkies who's girls are as big as my boy! They are maybe at most a foot tall when standing up straight. There are both large and small silkies in the world, while in europe, there are bantams and standard sized silkies.

Yeah I would say about a foot tall standing strait up...it's hard to tell with some of them and their large poofy heads though.

Hope I can get an answer, My 5 month old Silkie roo is at least 15 inches tall, he was slightly stooped when I was trying to measure him. Is he LF? Certainly not bantam, right?

I just searched aliitle bit of info on LF Silkies, & the large fowl aren't really much bigger then the U.S. silkies. The large fowl silkies are actually mid-sized. In other words, medium in size. I will post link later.

I measured my Silkie roo, and he's a big boy. He stands a whopping 16 and a half inches tall. I believe he's a large fowl Silkie, what do you guys think?

Back
Top Bottom